You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I create a texture brush that does not override (thicken?) previous strokes.

Hi All.
Thanks for this moment.
Can I create a texture brush that does not override/thicken previous strokes. One example: I want to create a curly-haired teddy bear, but with all of my current texture brushes if I touch a previous stroke it doubles the texture and darkens it. I just want one mass texture and to deal with the shading and highlights on other layers.
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
John.

Hi @johndmoulton,
Welcome to the Affinity Forums!

Each saved brush has its own width. If you choose a different (texture) brush for a selected vector layer then the width of the different brush gets applied. If you press the alt/opt key when clicking the different brush you can maintain the current width when the different brush gets assigned.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thomaso: Thank you for your reply. It's not on a change of brush or brush size that I am looking to solve this, it is when using the same brush over an area already brushed. I just wondered if there is anyway to keep the texture uniform rather than 'doubling up' on a second pass. As if the brush 'ignores' areas it has already painted. This simple (attached) image of a cross brush stroke shows the activity I am hoping to avoid - where a second brush stroke would have no effect on a previous brush stroke. Hope that makes sense.

image.jpeg.b0ab65e3009eb36dc13dfcabd6753b51.jpeg

Your example shows reduced opacity /density rather than different thickness. If you consider that a texture brush paints an image + its alpha in purpose, this overlapping appears to be the expected and a wanted behavior.

691593626_texturebrushoverlapping.jpg.1490050e8d440ef2550d9b21c36425fb.jpg

I think you only can influence the overlapping area with layer blend modes, unless you interrupt the curves.

868968831_texturebrushblendmode.jpg.10fbbdc1298ce0259ebcf509f1239e10.jpg

This topic reminds me to this recent similar topic (but with transparency caused by the pressure curve), where overlapping appears to be desired to fully cover a brush stroke underneath:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Not sure what you are trying to achieve but you could try a couple of things

1. If you want a flat solid brush reduce the dynamic settings especially accumulation and flow jitter. You could also combine this with a texture using 'base texture' (Set this also to black \ white) to avoid accumulation effects using greyscale .png
2. Have a play around with the blend modes to see you can create the effect you are looking for as @thomaso has already suggested
3. Use a brush from supplied sets that does not have any transparency. A solid nozzle brush may be the easiest way to get around you issue
4. Solid brushes can be made transparent just by tapping number keys (0=100%, 1=10%)
5. Apply Accumulation and/or Flow to 100%

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Hi @johndmoulton

2 hours ago, johndmoulton said:

image.jpeg.b0ab65e3009eb36dc13dfcabd6753b51.jpeg

If the brush has parts that are not completely opaque, and being a textured brush this may well be the case, I don't know any way to avoid this problem.

A few days ago we had a similar topic here in the forum.
Blend Mode: Darker Color not painting over white canvas (please, test with graphic tablets)

19 hours ago, johndmoulton said:

Hi All.
Thanks for this moment.
Can I create a texture brush that does not override/thicken previous strokes. One example: I want to create a curly-haired teddy bear, but with all of my current texture brushes if I touch a previous stroke it doubles the texture and darkens it. I just want one mass texture and to deal with the shading and highlights on other layers.
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
John.

Is there any physical brush, or any app that works this way (using texture brushes)? I cant imagine how this feature could work

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.