You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

soft prof missing printer

Hello, I use a imac with OS v12.6. When I want to soft proof I see only the p[a[er profiles of Canon and Epson p7570 which is also missing papers I use. My imac is not connected to the p7570 but to a p800 and this printer is completely missing on soft proof. . I usually transfer files to a portable mac to print on the p7570. So how I add the ICC profiles of the p800 now missing> and how can I add the ICC missing for the p7570?

thank you =very much.

47 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

I've actually found a link that you might find useful, Canon directly linked to this third party website that hosts ICC profiles for their printers in an article they posted:

https://www.hahnemuehle.com/en/digital-fineart/icc-profile/download-center.html

I'm not sure that will work for @srg. It's a good site, so thanks for mentioning it. But the case under discussion seems to be about using a Canon printer and Epson papers, which a situation that neither Canon nor Epson seem to expect. At the Hahnemuehle site it appears that you can download the

• profiles for Hahnemuehle papers on Epson printers, or on Canon printers
  • profiles for Epson papers used on Epson printers
  • profiles for Canon papers used on Canon printers

But I don't think they provide profiles for Epson papers used on Canon printers, and as far as I know an ICC profile is specific to a printer and paper combination. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi Srg, 

Check the following folder for your ICC files. 

Library/ColorSync

Lee

Hi, I have no ICCs in that forlder for my Epson p800. But when I use the EPSON Print layout application they are available.

14 minutes ago, srg said:

Hi, I have no ICCs in that forlder for my Epson p800. But when I use the EPSON Print layout application they are available.

So try to follow that path logic, but for your Epson printer name instead ...

• Possible filepath for the profiles might be:    Hard Drive / Library / Printers / Epson / <PrinterType> / ICC Profiles

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

33 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

Try this if those files aren't there.

go to library/printers/epson/inkjetprinter2

fine the .profiles file, right click it and click show package contents, and copy the enclosed files into  Library/ColorSync

Lee

32 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

So try to follow that path logic, but for your Epson printer name instead ...

• Possible filepath for the profiles might be:    Hard Drive / Library / Printers / Epson / <PrinterType> / ICC Profiles

here is what I get when I right click in the ICC profiles, no show package content

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 12.15.59 PM.png

1 hour ago, LeeThorpe said:

right click on the .profiles as above and open package (also the p800 icc is in that folder)

Lee

I called Epson and they told me that in the ICC profiles folder I will NOT find the epson ICC profiles. The reason for this is that EPSOn changed the way they handle the ICCs and they now link/sync the ICCs in the driver software. With Epson support we opened the Affinity photo printer and the ICCs were found there but not in the soft proof thus showing that the it is an Affinity problem.

2 minutes ago, srg said:

With Epson support we opened the Affinity photo printer and the ICCs were found there but not in the soft proof thus showing that the it is an Affinity problem.

Or an Epson problem, by not making them available to applications like Affinity.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, srg said:

With Epson support we opened the Affinity photo printer and the ICCs were found there but not in the soft proof thus showing that the it is an Affinity problem.

How is it an Affinity problem if Epson has started putting their profiles in a non-standard location?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

How is it an Affinity problem if Epson has started putting their profiles in a non-standard location?

the fact is that the ICCs in question are available in the print function but not in the soft proof function of Affinity says that is an affinity problem. It seems logical to me...but I know nothing

7 minutes ago, srg said:

the fact is that the ICCs in question are available in the print function but not in the soft proof function of Affinity says that is an affinity problem

The print function accesses the system printer driver and shows up it's capabilities, so that's the Epson software part and how that installed and uses it's resources (nothing Affinity specific here)! - The Affinity softproof function looks under the usual operating system wide path for those ICC profiles.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

The print function accesses the system printer driver and shows up it's capabilities, so that's the Epson software part and how that installed and uses it's resources (nothing Affinity specific here)! - The Affinity softproof function looks under the usual operating system wide path for those ICC profiles.

If I understood well that is an Affinity problem then, or something that Affinity should address, am I correct?

22 minutes ago, srg said:

If I understood well that is an Affinity problem then, or something that Affinity should address, am I correct?

No. As I understand it:

• The Print function uses the Epson print driver, and it is that driver that is accessing the hidden profiles.
  • The Soft Proof function is all Affinity, and as Epson has chosen to hide the profiles rather than installing them in the proper location, Affinity has no access to them.

Therefore, it is an Epson problem, in my opinion.

-- Walt
PC:

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No. As I understand it:

• The Print function uses the Epson print driver, and it is that driver that is accessing the hidden profiles.
  • The Soft Proof function is all Affinity, and as Epson has chosen to hide the profiles rather than installing them in the proper location, Affinity has no access to them.

Therefore, it is an Epson problem, in my opinion.

OK but there must be more to that since in the softproof function I see the Epsom p7570 printer ICCs....which are missing in the ICC profile folder in library.

Affinity soft proofing related:

Some infos from Red River Paper about installing icc profiles etc.

Epson icc profiles:

2 hours ago, srg said:

I called Epson and they told me that in the ICC profiles folder I will NOT find the epson ICC profiles. The reason for this is that EPSOn changed the way they handle the ICCs and they now link/sync the ICCs in the driver software. With Epson support we opened the Affinity photo printer and the ICCs were found there but not in the soft proof thus showing that the it is an Affinity problem.

Just in case: For full access to an EPSON driver, respectively its colour & profile options, I had to create in macOS an additional virtual printer via TCP/IP. By default the macOS tries to create a Bonjour printer with its "driverless" technology Apple Airprint.

The default printer menu in Affinity does not offer certain sub-menus …

1127780222_printerdefaultAirprint.jpg.9d9b0a574535f9886c51629401ec9eb8.jpg

… which do appear with the TCP/IP version for the same printer hardware:

1701312751_printerTCP-IP1.jpg.d3a40987bb66f39657b3b8d51dbec920.jpg . 347868489_printerTCP-IP2.jpg.274b64a6a22dd6123d5052d80e98b07e.jpg

Creating a TCP/IP printer in the system preferences > printer allows to choose a custom driver:

1649840698_printeradd.thumb.jpg.15c7e4d063b59eab2e9c40abef440917.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1