You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer Crashes when i try to type something in the Font selection menu

uninstalling that windows update fixed this for me too. I have paused the updates for 7 days and I hope MS fix this in the meantime. So frustrating.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

On 10/2/2022 at 9:26 PM, Komatös said:

There is another update that may cause problems. 

September 30, 2022-KB5017271 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11 22H2

I was surprised that I experienced the same phenomenon. And since I had no problems a few days ago, I suspected the above update as the cause. After uninstalling it, my suspicions were confirmed.  

Yes, Removing KB5017271 really helped.

Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher v.2 for Win11, Dell XPS 9500 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz | 32GB RAM)

On 10/19/2022 at 3:02 PM, Andrew (Poland) said:

There is another update that may cause problems. 

Yes - and OU NOOOOOOOO! It means that Microsoft did not fixed anything and probably not does. So Affinity team must think and do something about it as there is no good way use their beast programs, if font searching just closes your work. And also there is no good idea to refuse again and again from KB5017271. And unfortunately one earlier suggestion permanently remove this update is not permanent at all, as I made it earlier before 22H2 and after one restart, it was back. So I decided upgrade to 22H2 and it helped until that new 2022-10 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5017271) update. :(

And yes - removing that KB5017271 will help again, but how long it last?

P.S.
Ok - found this and happy now again. :)

On 9/30/2022 at 1:36 PM, walt.farrell said:

Via a web search for (I think) Windows 10 KB5017262 crash I found other reports of WPF-based applications crashing after this .Net update was applied. So my guess is that it's a Microsoft problem, and the fixes are bad, and that Microsoft will be the ones fixing this.

I uninstalled this update and now Affinity works fine.

• 1 month later...

Choosing fonts crashes for me every time on Windows 11 (none of the updates mentioned are installed tho). Not sure if anyone figured out another workaround other than REG edit mentioned by the devs but...

My Workaround Fix:

Using Style function and choosing a font works flawlessly at least for me! At least I'm able to continue with my work :)

• Staff

UPDATE for anyone still using V1 Affinity applications - 

Versions 1.10.6 of the Affinity suite have been released, which resolve these .NET Windows crashes.

Please see the below link for information on how to download and install these updates:

With the Affinity updates installed, you can now un-hide any previous Windows updates you have paused and install these without concern.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon