You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey everyone, i technically have a maths question but it is do with tracking/letter spacing. 

When im designing I usually want certain text to be certain width and height WITH tracking. 

For example, 

Original height of text: 20px

Original width of text: 177.8px 

I need the text tracked so that its exactly 240px wide but keeping the 20px height/text size. 

I can do it manually by setting up a guide at the end of a box thats 240px wide and then incrementally increasing the tracking % of the text by 1% until it meets the centre of the line…. But is there a better way? Is there a formula where you take the original width compared to the finished width and try find the tracking %? 

Any help for a more efficient and accurate method would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Staff
21 hours ago, JPrice98 said:

Any help for a more efficient and accurate method would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I can't think of a better way than manually doing this.  Even if there was a formula, i'm not sure how you'd enter that into Designer.  Publisher (desktop only at the moment) has regular expressions, that could possibly help with this but that doesn't help you in Designer.

Hopefully something with more experience of this type of workflow will have some better ideas for you doing this using just the tools in Designer :)