You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canvas compositing is struggling to update, is hardware acceleration being used in the best way?

Hi all, forgive the clickbait title. I use a GTX970 which admittedly is far from new, but canvas compositing is not just sluggish, it doesn't update at all my linked resources when I zoom on the image, even after I've let ten minutes pass. On the other hand any compositing software works smoothly with composites that are much more complex. It seems like it's trying to recalculate everything (including live effects such as blur) every time I change the zoom level, every time I move a layer, basically any action causes a full recalculation. Is there even any caching going on? any plans to move away from OpenCL? (which is a discontinued standard) The card has 4Gib of memory by the way, which is well enough to handle a single A0 150DPI image (as evidenced by most of my other pictures which lack live effects and work somewhat more smoothly). Even selecting layers in the layer stack stops working half the time on that specific image.

I'm trying to get work done and it seems mad that even waiting for the canvas to update does nothing. I'm not sure what more I can do? I will upgrade my hardware at some point in the near future but right now it is a daily struggle. So I guess my question is, are there plans to improve canvas updates and general reactivity in Publisher?

Thank you

• Staff

Hi Hadriscus,

If you go into the apps Preferences under performance could you try setting view quality to fastest just to see if it makes any noticeable difference for you?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion! Choosing nearest neighbour does just that, but doesn't appear to change the definition of the images. At full zoom, the preview images that appear in place of the "real" ones are made up of blocks 8px wide, when they should be 1px (because the linked images match the document resolution and are not scaled). I understand this is not the support forum, but I can provide the file if you think there is something worth trying.

Thanks !

Hadrien

I have to know whether or not this is going to improve in future versions. Is there a roadmap I can look up ? I'm used to Blender's more open development style, and I understand not every developer does that, but at some point there needs to be clarity. What are the plans ? Is this area likely to improve ?

Thank you,

Hadrien

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hadriscus said:

Is there any communication available on this topic ? should I post somewhere else for someone in the know to see my question ?

I had an issue with sporadic updating of the display. It would blur before becoming sharp again and would look quite pixelated/glitchy. Even with a 3080... Is this what you are referring to? What I did was make sure Retena Rendering was set to "High quality" as Auto worked abysmally for whatever reason (very janky back and forth). I was on an older CPU at the time, so this could've been a factor. Even with "GPU-only" operations, various benchmarks seem to lean heavily towards single core performance even for GPU-enabled functionality. I have not tested Auto again since the change.

FWIW, they are getting ready to release 2.0 and have been busy in the background, which is why they're probably more quiet on bugs rn.

image.png.ee0a55ab7cc580969245f194e6159ecb.png