You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pattern Layer - Dimensional Limit?

Is there a size limit on Pattern layers? I try creating new and it defaults to "1024" if a higher number is input. The number isn't clear what it is measuring. It seems to be pixels regardless of document dimensions, but it doesn't explicitly say here.

I notice if I import an image and use Menu [Layer]>New Pattern Layer from Selection though on a pixel layer that is larger than the 1024px constraint, it will allow me a larger size once it converts to pattern. Theoretically I could just erase and then I would have a clean slate for a larger Pattern layer. My thought, why is this not feasible through New Layer? And if there is a pixel limitation, will this cause corruption/bugs potentially in the file? I just thought strange this "work-around" is feasible.

I could not find anything in documentation about any limitations so thought I would ask here.

Also if I try to make pattern from an embedded file, I notice I can still click "New Pattern layer from selection", it will do nothing. An error message would be helpful or greyed out option... Edit: This implementation is also strange since it allows the option to be selected, executed, etc-- but effectively does nothing.

Edit: Hmm, I noticed I can add the New layer and resize after with transform tool, so that is a better work-around. Weird.

10 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Edit: Hmm, I noticed I can add the New layer and resize after with transform tool, so that is a better work-around. Weird.

Resizing does something different: it reduces or increases the DPI, not the pixel count of the pattern.

you can spot the difference if comparing a very low pixel count, e.g. 2x2, stretched by factor 2, to a 4x4px pattern.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

17 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Is there a size limit on Pattern layers? I try creating new and it defaults to "1024". The number isn't clear what it is measuring. It seems to be pixels regardless of document dimensions.

The number is the size of the pattern in x and y dimensions. There are two numbers, not one.

I notice if I import an image and use Menu [Layer]>New Pattern Layer from Selection though... it will allow me a larger size, but I can just erase...

What do you want to say by "but I can just erase..."?

Also if I try to make pattern from an embedded file, I notice I can still click "New Pattern layer from selection", it will do nothing. An error message would be helpful or greyed out option...

Because you need to rasterise image layers to pixel layers before you can use pixels selections as basis for pattern layers

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Because you need to rasterise image layers to pixel layers before you can use pixels selections as basis for pattern layers

In this case, I'm making an observation about implementation. The option should probably be greyed out from otherwise having the option toggleable and then nothing occurring is awkward implementation. That is all.

I made a mistake in my initial post and should've explained: If I input higher than 1024 as a size variable, it "defaults" to 1024(?). The box that appears has no units for the variables, so what is this number exactly? It's not clear and thus, again, awkward implementation. I assumed pixels because that made the most sense being a raster program, but for the "average" user, it may be confusing. I'm guessing 1024 is the max. It's not in the manual, which is why I posted here. I like the general idea of pattern layers and I think it works really well... but it's a bit weird that I can import a larger pixel layer that is larger than 1024px (xy), convert, then just erase its content which (allegedly) allows me to have a pattern layer that is larger than the defaults. It's not clear why that implementation works, but not the dialogue creating a blank layer.

Most of my post is my impressions on the implementation. I was hoping mods would chime in and explain the actual limitations a bit clearer. Is rasterizing from selection larger than 1024 going to create defects? No pixel limit is in the manual but it will not allow anything higher. I did a search and didn't see anything mentioning the size limitations is all... So asking here for clarification from those "in the know".

Pattern Layer can be larger than 1024px.

1 Create a rectangle of the desired size in pixels
2 rasterize it
3 Layer > New Pattern Layer From Selection

19 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Indeed on windows the px don't show on initial placing a pattern layer.
But there's no need to rasterize.

45 minutes ago, telemax said:

Pattern Layer can be larger than 1024px.

1 Create a rectangle of the desired size in pixels
2 rasterize it
3 Layer > New Pattern Layer From Selection

Yes. Sorry. I did not make it clear enough in the initial post. Have been multi-tasking between projects and child is having sleep regression and so bear with me in advance if my explanations still suffer some jargon. Seems I need a proof-reader.

The reason for mentioning, I was pointing out the implementation being in conflict with the "hard" limit. Also, I'm a bit fearful to create elaborate works only for files to corrupt later on (potentially...). I'm not sure if it is hard limited though since it's not mentioned in the manual, so perhaps it is just the implementation of the dialogue box itself. If that makes sense?

I haven't discovered any strange artifacts through this "work-around", but it seems safe to use. I posted since I was working on a project and had hoped someone could shed light who would know. @NotMyFault mentioned transforming the image would cause 'changes' to underlying pixel layer, which makes sense, though I did expect it to work more like a crop feature. I am resizing a blank layer when I do this so not sure the transform would be an issue... I just thought the work-around was bizarre since the 1024px limitation is fairly heavy-handed in Menu[Layer] > New Pattern Layer dialogue... it will not allow higher by direct input.

FWIW, I prefer to set DPI of a document to 900-1200ish for inked works since we are not allowed paths using this feature. Then I can select this as the pattern layer's dimensions and that allows me to size down the work as needed and still keep it polished... so just a scooch over 1024 would be nice if any limitation should exist at all.

Technically I could work higher outside of APh and import a graphic that is sized properly for the "final", but was testing APh's features for the other purpose... (Hopefully that makes sense)

• 1 month later...