You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Ad 1.10.5] Slices' output filenames in Export persona missing extensions when coming from PSD

MmmMaarten

Until now I mostly created graphics inside Affinity and exported it with the export persona without any issues in both Photo and Designer.

Today I imported a PSD file into Affinity and created slices of all layers (without even editing inside Affinity). But to my surprise the Slices don't have extensions in the Slices tab of the Export persona and export to files without extensions, eventhough PNG is selected on each slice.

When creating a new file and create slices of the new layers everything still works fine; all slices get the PNG extension, because PNG is selected. So there is an issue in Affinity when starting with an already created PSD file to create and export layers as slices.

This is how it looks when layers are created inside Affinity (pixel-layers) and we create slices from those layers:
image.png.8e33000b85b3b7c68722804a65fe5f99.png

image.png.60566b5d38f3e1c217ff542bffff6b32.png

This is how it looks when layers are made externally and imported from PSD (to pixel-layers) and we create slices from those layers:

image.png.8814f2eaaf81d166a3e6fc065af17bca.png

image.png.c3d4086910f03e6074c653d2626e7acd.png

As you can see the files don't get an extention when exporting either:

image.thumb.png.1587d81e91c1776be1d4c9c60cec4f63.png

The issue is already in the slice-name, so it looks like we cannot even change it

[Edit] Added a test PSD file in the Attachment which throws this issue AND the Affinity file created from it where you can see the issue in the export persona. For the record; the PSD is created in the latest Krita (5.1.1).

test.afphoto test.psd

BTW The 'main' export, so the sum of all layers (the 'master' so to say), which Affinity always automatically creates in the Export Persona, DOES have an extension. So it's only the slices we created that don't get the extensions we normally do get (and need).

This is the 'main'/'master' export in the slices tab:

image.png.bd8186d4f0961dfa84a42ff5261d2d45.png

For what it is worth I am not seeing this here on Mac OS 11.7. All the slices, from layers and from me making some, from a .PSD file exported with automatically applied file extensions.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

For what it is worth I am not seeing this here on Mac OS 11.7. All the slices, from layers and from me making some, from a .PSD file exported with automatically applied file extensions.

That's info. What software did you use to create the PSD? I used Krita

I just created a very simplified new PSD file with only 2 simple layers. It's making Affinity having the exact same issue after importing in Affinity in the Export Persona as the file I was working on. So this is a file the developers can bugfix with.

So I updated the opening post here and added both this new PSD file as well as the created Affinity Photo file from it with the slices without extensions issue, as an attachment to the opening post.

Alright, I just created a PSD file now with a different program (MOHO this time) and tried the same in Affinity. THIS psd file DOES in fact work in the Export persona, so doesn't throw this issue in Affinity. And these are also pixel-layers, just like the krita-created psd file.

Which is weird, because the PSD file created with Krita is importing just fine in Affinity, doesn't throw any errors, looks exactly as expected, all layers are there, including their original names etc. 

I'm no expert on the PSD file format (guess nobody really is as it's propriatory to Adobe, but at least the PDF part could be known), but it looks like, by this short/simple test,  that the PSD Krita creates throws an issue in Affinity (eventhough everything else works just fine and no issue can be seen in the layers), while the PSD Moho is creating is not throwing this issue in the Affinity exporter (or at least not as I can see here with this simplified file). 

So beats me what the issue could be. 

What I can tell tho is that I don't see any reason why Affinity shouldn't be able to add the right slice names with extensions; all layer names are imported just fine, just like their content, so I would say it's only a matter of adding an extension...

Okay, did some more tests and it looks like this might be easy to solve for the developers (or at least I hope so);

Please see video below: 

• First you see the imported PSD in Affinity. As you can see the layer names show perfectly fine
  • I add slices from the two layers
  • You can see the output slices are getting the layer names, but aren't getting png extensions, making them create wrong filenames when exporting
  • Now I change the layer names in the normal photo persona to different names (which look the same in the layers panel)
  • When I remove the old slices and create slices from the renamed layers, now suddenly the new slices DO get PNG extensions

So it looks to me there's a difference between the layer names as displayed and the internal layer names used internally in Affinity to create slice names from. Perhaps internally the layer names aren't stripped from white spaces? Or some similar small issue like that causing this to fail, like illegal characters used in the layer name string?

If the visible layer names would be used instead to create slice names I won't see any reason why this shouldn't work from these PSD files as it is showing the right layers names and when changing the layer names to the exact same string-format it is working. Hope this makes sense.

17 hours ago, MmmMaarten said:

That's info. What software did you use to create the PSD? I used Krita

A download from some website. So I have no idea. The PSD I exported from Affinity Photo wouldn't really answer the question so I didn't mention that that file also worked as expected. I think that this may be a Windows bug that isn't present in Mac.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 hour ago, MmmMaarten said:

Looks like you missed my latest posts. Don't think this has to do with Mac vs Windows. Did you try the PSD in the opening post?

Those files show the problem as you describe. They also show a Profile I haven't seen before. A renaming of a layer will show the file extension on the export of that layer.

1020371361_ScreenShot2022-09-18at9_33_35AM.png.6882b6ab42477d868865f4d5fd415311.png

I suspect whichever application generated the files is part of the problem.

A renaming of a layer will show the file extension on the export of that layer.

Exactly as I concluded for pc, so it's the same on mac. Thanks for checking

They also show a Profile I haven't seen before.

It's just sRGB, nothing weird about that. Also this obviously has nothing to do with this issue.

I suspect whichever application generated the files is part of the problem.

Could be, but shouldn't be in this case IMO;

1) There are no errors after importing the PSD in Affinity
2) Everything shows exactly as it should, including the layer names
3) Affinity is capable of displaying the layer names the right way perfectly fine in the layers panel, so I don't see any problem just glueing the extension to it. If we can workaround this issue by renaming to the exact same layers names, so could the code base I would think. Although there might be a reason to keep two variables of layer names internally I can't reason?

I suspect it's just a matter of sanitizing the layer name internally before adding the file extension when creating the slice name. Probably the layer name internally isn't trimmed after import, has some unexpected ascii character, like carriage return or line feed or something similar. If that's the case it shouldn't be that hard to fix it in code.

Anyway, thanks for checking on your side and hopefully Serif could take a look at it to make it work! :)

• 9 months later...

@Callum It's juli 2023 now and we're at version 2.1.1 now and it's still not working. 

The issue doesn't only appear when using Krita, but now that I'm using Sketchbook Pro (v9.0.26) in Windows, it's the same with PSD's coming from there.

I wouldn't think this is a very difficult thing to solve in Affinity, but it's pretty inefficient and thus frustrating to contstantly needing to rename created files.

Could you please move this thread to the v2 bugs forum? And please ask the developers to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

• Staff

This is something that is still open with our developers I have no control over which specific bugs they fix and when I'm afraid. 

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 2:19 PM, Callum said:

This is something that is still open with our developers I have no control over which specific bugs they fix and when I'm afraid. 

Thanks
C

Thanks for the response and for moving this to the v2 forum! Hope it gets some traction soon!

I am having exactly the same issue - so you are not going mad! Its so frustrating - It does not do it all the time but it has done it to me on a document where I copied the art-board 30 times and now have to re-name each file individually (double effort) it's a real pain tbh