You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New layer is created within the Masterpage layer

Intuos5

Summary
There's an issue where new layers are created within the masterpage layer, though you are not able to edit this layer when the masterpage content is not detatched.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a masterpage with nested layers and a couple of objects.
  2. Apply this masterpage to a random page.
  3. Detatch the masterpage content.
  4. Move one of the objects before commiting them by clicking "finish".
  5. Select an item of the masterpage layer, such as the picture frame.
  6. When I create a new layer using the shortcut and/ or button with the masterpage item still selected, the new layer is created within the masterpage layer.

Observation
Notice how the new layers are created within the masterpage layer. However, you cannot edit or use the layers, because you would need to detach the masterpage content.

Expected result
The layer should be created outside (above) the masterpage layer, because you cannot use it otherwise. And if you want to use the layer, it takes additional steps to detach them so they can be used.

Info
This is on Windows 19044, Publisher version 1.10.5.1342.

6 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

Notice how the new layers are created within the masterpage layer. However, you cannot edit or use the layers, because you would need to detach the masterpage content.

This is present on Mac OS 11.7 as well.

If I go to a different page, after doing the Edit Detached, then back I don't see this behaviour. Quite a niche bug. I wonder if I have been bitten by it and not noticed it. 

I guess the page/document needs some sort of refresh after the Finished button is clicked but is actually only just setting the locked status again.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

37 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

If I go to a different page, after doing the Edit Detached, then back I don't see this behaviour.

When you do that, what layer is selected in the Layers panel when you come back to the page you edited?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

47 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

When you do that, what layer is selected in the Layers panel when you come back to the page you edited?

No layer, same as always.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

27 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

No layer, same as always.

Right. And that's why you don't get the problem. And I don't get the problem when using Edit Detached, either.

8 hours ago, Intuos5 said:
  • Move one of the objects before commiting them by clicking "finish".
  • When I create a new layer using the shortcut and/ or button with the masterpage item still selected, the new layer is created within the masterpage layer.

You left out a step there, I think. In your video, you clicked "Finish", and at that point nothing was selected in the Layers panel.

But then (as I see the video), you clicked on the Picture Frame on the page. That selected it in the Layers panel. You left out that step in your sequence above. And it's critical because when you create a new layer, with an existing layer selected, it goes above the selected layer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

So not a bug. Just me not paying attention to what I was doing and seeing. And that is why I don't use power tools.

19 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You left out a step there, I think. In your video, you clicked "Finish", and at that point nothing was selected in the Layers panel.

But then (as I see the video), you clicked on the Picture Frame on the page. That selected it in the Layers panel. You left out that step in your sequence above. And it's critical because when you create a new layer, with an existing layer selected, it goes above the selected layer.

Yes, apparently I did, guess I thought I had the steps all written out when I added the video, oops.

Selecting an object is important for this indeed. I'll edit my initial post.

But it is also important to mention that if I have an object selected that's within the masterpage layer, it does not add these additional layers within the masterpage layer. So it definitely is an unintended side-effect of detaching content. There's no reasonable way to expect a new layer to be put within the masterpage layer, when you cannot edit it in any way (removing the layer is impossible, for instance) unless you detach the masterpage content again. There is no workflow advantage to be had with this, it is either a design flaw, or, what I deem more likely, a bug.