You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange Spacing Appears When I Paste in Text from Word

I've not been able to figure out a weird spacing issue that appears when I post text into Affinity Publisher's text frames. Fiddling with alignment or justification doesn't resolve it. These gaps just appear when I put stuff from Word into the software.

Below is a screencap where I've highlighted most of the gaps. I suspect the solution is simple but can't figure it. Does anybody know what this is and how to fix it?

image.png.0823fa4eaf62deda7a51754b86b46fc8.png

Ah, my magazine layout guy did already turn that on, and it absolutely helped a lot. There are still some big spaces hanging out, though. He does think you're correct about the cause—justification of text, strange number of words to fit on the line. He's just not sure what can be done about it. 

In other words, it’s not a bug or technical problem, but perhaps a naturally occurring layout issue?

2 minutes ago, NewEdgeSwordAndSorcery said:

He's just not sure what can be done about it. 

In other words, it’s not a bug or technical problem, but perhaps a naturally occurring layout issue?

Can we see what it looks like with auto-hyphenation enabled?

And yes, it might just be the way things will be with that column width and text size. Note that Publisher's justification is line-by-line, not for an entire paragraph as other applications may implement. For "what to do", changing the column width, revising the text, or adding some manual hyphenation might help. You can also try adjusting the word-spacing or letter-spacing options under Justification in the Paragraph panel, or the tracking options for the text in Positioning and Transform in the Character panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, NewEdgeSwordAndSorcery said:

Asked and answered. Yes it is natural.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Can we see what it looks like with auto-hyphenation enabled?

And yes, it might just be the way things will be with that column width and text size. Note that Publisher's justification is line-by-line, not for an entire paragraph as other applications may implement. For "what to do", changing the column width, revising the text, or adding some manual hyphenation might help. You can also try adjusting the word-spacing or letter-spacing options under Justification in the Paragraph panel, or the tracking options for the text in Positioning and Transform in the Character panel.

Ah, thank you Walt! You've given him some new options he'll explore. In the meanwhile, I gather what you see in the screenshot I've shared is indeed what it looks like with auto-hyphenation.

Our guiding light for this is the Summer 1968 issue of Horizon magazine, which uses three narrow columns too, and they don't have the issue...but something tells me they weren't using Affinity Publisher!

40 minutes ago, NewEdgeSwordAndSorcery said:

You can't delete, but you can probably click on the "..." icon at the top of the post and choose Hide from the options.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

20 minutes ago, NewEdgeSwordAndSorcery said:

In the meanwhile, I gather what you see in the screenshot I've shared is indeed what it looks like with auto-hyphenation.

If it were enabled I would have expected the word "passion" at the beginning of the second line to appear hyphenated at the end of the first line, "pas-", with the "sion" on the second line.

So I suspect some setting is not correct. 

Can you share part of the document with us, so we can examine it in detail?

-- Walt
PC:

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If it were enabled I would have expected the word "passion" at the beginning of the second line to appear hyphenated at the end of the first line, "pas-", with the "sion" on the second line.

So I suspect some setting is not correct. 

Can you share part of the document with us, so we can examine it in detail?

Sure! My editor has since tried some of what's been suggested and vastly improved it.
image.png.359e4c7716f8e284940e1c94409a1b5e.png

But it's still kinda there...
image.png.af6f1a8de6e2c5122845a55947717913.png

16 hours ago, NewEdgeSwordAndSorcery said:

But it's still kinda there...

I’ve attached an example showing the same text formatted in four different ways, from left to right:
1. Simple Left Align;
2. Simple Left Justification;
3. Left Justification and Auto-hyphenation;
4. As 3 but with Optical Alignment from the font and some basic manual work done with Tracking.

Version 4 isn’t perfect by any stretch of the imagination but hopefully it shows the difference between just letting the software do its thing and giving it a manual ‘nudge’ here and there.

As with most things, the more work you put into it the better it can be.

Note: ‘Proper’ digital typesetting is something that will probably take more than one large book to explain properly.

image.png.73696def8fb5465919bf1bc1cc796daa.png

To compensate the spacing, I would first select the whole text and then adjust a global Tracking, that almost fits good (Studio Panel "Positioning and Transform"). Then I would do individual Tracking line by line. But take care that the single characters don't overlap or are aparted too much. Also take care that the Trackings aren't too different, especially consecutive lines. In combination with a good Hyphenation Setting, this should work.

18 hours ago, NewEdgeSwordAndSorcery said:

Sure! My editor has since tried some of what's been suggested and vastly improved it.

The letter spacing is very large, which also increases the word spacing - and at some point the word spacing is just too large.

Thanks to DeepL.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:21 AM, NewEdgeSwordAndSorcery said:

I suspect the solution is simple but can't figure it.

The bottom line is that if you insist on justifying the text, there is no simple "one size fits all" solution. You can revise the text, adjust tracking, or whatever, but there is no automatic way to always make word spacing uniform in justified text. See for example https://practicaltypography.com/justified-text.html for more about this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

but there is no automatic way to always make word spacing uniform in justified text.

Even Monospaced fonts will have problems unless the width of the text frame is (somehow) an integer multiple of the glyphs' width and we manually hyphenate words disregarding all rules for hyphenating. Even then I bet I could come up with examples of text that would not work. But I am not going to.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Even Monospaced fonts will have problems unless the width of the text frame is (somehow) an integer multiple of the glyphs' width and we manually hyphenate words disregarding all rules for hyphenating.

Yes, & by disregarding hyphenation rules you you could end up with something horrible looking & very hard to read!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7