You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity publisher crashes when trying to open an IMDL-File and hangs when open a PDF-File

Hi, I am new here and have bought Affinity Publisher today.

I have converted my indd-File to IMDL and try to open this with the Publisher. But Publisher crashes at once. After that I try to open the PDF-File exported from InDesign, but after opening the file Publisher hangs at once no further action is possible.

I must get this to work. Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Eveline

• Staff

Hi @Eveline welcome to the forums,

Are you able to open your .IDML in Publisher by creating a new document and then going to Document > Add Pages from File or does this still result in the crash?

If it's still crashing, could you provide us with the .IDML file so we can investigate further? I've provided a private Dropbox link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/RXoUFa1DtvsEuuLGqiSb

• Staff

Hi @Eveline,

Many thanks for providing the file, I've identified the issue occurs on Page 43 as importing the IDML with only pages 1-42 works as expected, however there are problems on other pages after 43 which is causing Publisher to crash. This will take some deduction and I'll need to log this with the development team.

However, I have been successfully able to save the whole document as an Interactive PDF from InDesign and load this into Publisher and save without any crashes/issues, I'll PM you a link to the saved .afpub file.

• Staff

The IDML file you provided me with had linked resources only which I have no access to, so when the file was imported into publisher (either PDF or IDML), the images were not carried across.

If you could provide me with the original images used or a version of the IDML which has embedded images instead I can try re-linking them and then exporting to PDF before opening it in Publisher.

The same dropbox link can be used (https://www.dropbox.com/request/RXoUFa1DtvsEuuLGqiSb) for uploading the images.

Okay, I will now do some tests with this files.

I have nearly twenty files from InDesign which I want to convert to Publisher. So it wold be fine, if the bug o.ä. could be purged so that I can do this allone.

Many thanks so far. May I come back if I notice more problems?

Eveline

7 minutes ago, Eveline said:

...May I come back if I notice more problems?

Yes, that is the main reason for these forums. Solving problems and learning.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I have now taken a closer look at the application. It does not look good at all. The converted file has turned one text field into thousands. But I can't work with it like this. Maybe I should briefly describe how I normally work:
I create two brochures per year, which in principle as 2 variants always have the same structure. I only change the text and the images. At the end there are always 3-5 pages only with pictures and 4-12 pages consisting of tables, whose content I also always have to exchange. After conversion of the pdf every cell is a text field, that would drive me crazy.
So I don't know now if I can work with the application at all, or is there hope that if the IDML file can be taken over after all I have again only one text field and my tables are again reasonably editable?

Best wishes

Eveline