You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustments on mask layer

Hi, I hope I am describing this correctly (Affinity Photo).

I am using one image as a mask layer for another image so as I paint with the black brush the mask layer shows through. All standard stuff.

However, I often need to match the colours, etc., of the upper layer so I attempted to use the adjustments (HSL, Brightness/Contrast, etc.) but I can't figure out how to stop Affinity Photo from adjusting the whole image (both layers) when I just want to adjust the mask layer.

I'm sure this must be something simple but being so simple I can't find a tutorial which explains how to do it.

Try making the adjustment layer a child of the image mask layer, that way it will only affect that layer, or group the mask layer and adjustment layer.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

14 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Try making the adjustment layer a child of the image mask layer, that way it will only affect that layer, or group the mask layer and adjustment layer.

I am sure I have tried that but I went back and tried. I am now somewhat confused because I don't have an adjustment layer. I have a Background layer and above that I have the image I want to show through and that has a mask layer as a child. If I try to apply ajustment to just that mask layer, it goes ahead and applies the adjustment to the whole image (all layers). There is no adjustment layer.

Correction: Sorry the adjustment layer does appear after the adjustment has been applied so, as you say, I can drag that on to the mask layer and it works as I wanted it to work.

Thanks. Sorry for the confusion.

Now I am wondering if there is a way to avoid that step of dragging to the child layer? This is why I didn't realise it was possible in the first place.

Isn't there a way to select just the mask layer and apply adjustments to it without having to create an adjustment layer first and then make it a child of the mask layer?