You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo won't run on Windows 11

30 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

I've been running on Windows 11 for quite some time with no problems. Sure its not your virus checker?

No its not the anti virus....I actually uninstalled the one that came with the computer.  Affinity ran fine on my old Surface with Windows 10 but with this new computer it won't open.  

10 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

Might be gpu related. Somewhere there are posts on how to turn off hardware acceleration. But maybe update graphics drivers first.

When I went to my account in Affinity it shows the program registered to my old computer... wondering if this might be the problem.  However, I can't figure out how to change the registration! 

Hi @smithair52

Since you can install Affinity programmes on so many computers that you own yourself, if you use them privately, it is not because of the registration.

Rather, missing, faulty or outdated software components are the cause. Please check if there are newer drivers for the architecture you are using. The same applies to the graphics card drivers.

A money-saving tip: Under Windows 10 or higher, there is no need for third-party antivirus software, as the malware protection integrated in Windows is now one of the best. And another fact. Antivirus software always has access to the lowest operating system level. With faulty components of third-party software, the gateway for malware may be much larger. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff

Hi @smithair52,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :) 

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble, I'd like to request a few different log/crash files from yourself to try and determine the exact cause of this.

Firstly, please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0

In the window that opens, please select log.txt, then attach this to your reply here.

Secondly, in the same folder as above, please open CrashReports and then reports - if any reports have been generated, they will be found here. Please attach the latest 3 .DMP files from this folder.

Finally, I'd like to request a copy of your event viewer log, to generate this please do the following.

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.  

Your reply should hopefully include the log.txt, the 3 most recent .DMP crash reports, and the .evtx event viewer log.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!