You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fractional gutter width increments please!

The gutter width value in the Context Toolbar only increases and decreases by whole numbers when using the up and down buttons next to the value box. This is generally OK with units of pixels or mm but not very practical with cm and just silly with inches!

Could this be changed pleased so the increment is related to the number of decimal places set in Preferences > User Interface > Decimal Places For Unit Types.

Thanks!

In addition to N.P.M.'s suggestion above, if you hover the mouse pointer over that field (or click to edit it) and keep Ctrl (Cmd on macOS) pressed down while you spin the mouse wheel it will increase/decrease the value by 0.1 increments. Not what you want but might be good enough in some cases.

Just out of curiosity, which ‘number of decimal places’ would you want to set it to and how many times would you want to press the up/down buttons to change the value to what you want?

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Just out of curiosity, which ‘number of decimal places’ would you want to set it to and how many times would you want to press the up/down buttons to change the value to what you want?

Ideally it should work in exactly the same way as the Gutter value in the Text Frame panel - 10x the 'Decimal Places For Unit Types' setting (i.e. if the decimal places preference is 2, the value increments in 0.1 steps). 

1 hour ago, N.P.M. said:

Hold ctrl(win)or cmd(mac) to scroll through decimals

Thanks for the suggestion but this only seems to work in the Font size and Leading fields - not the Gutter width.

Also I'm using an Apple trackpad which is way too sensitive for the 'hover over the value' feature :)

12 minutes ago, Grum said:

it should work in exactly the same way as the Gutter value in the Text Frame panel

Unfortunately my spinner fields work strangely (probably something wrong with my settings/installation) so I can’t check the similarities/differences between different spinner fields.

• 2 months later...

In Publisher 1.X, when I use the up and down arrows while the cursor is in the text box inset dialog box, the increment moves up by .1" which is the control I want. In Publisher 2.0, the increment is in whole inches only! Obviously, this won't work well with narrow columnar text :-). We are a newspaper and use a lot of text boxes and set the inset with the arrow keys all the time. How do we get the increment to increase .1" at a time like in 1.X version of Publisher? Thank you!

On 12/10/2022 at 3:35 PM, whitewolf7070 said:

In Publisher 1.X, when I use the up and down arrows while the cursor is in the text box inset dialog box, the increment moves up by .1" which is the control I want. In Publisher 2.0, the increment is in whole inches only! Obviously, this won't work well with narrow columnar text :-). We are a newspaper and use a lot of text boxes and set the inset with the arrow keys all the time. How do we get the increment to increase .1" at a time like in 1.X version of Publisher? Thank you!

Hi, for me, it increments by 1 in both v1 and v2 and I have to hold down Opt to increment by .1.

I didn't think this was a shortcut you could customize so I don't know how you got it to increment by .1 without holding down Option/Alt but go ahead and try holding that down in v2 as it should work.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

The input fields are a mess:

• In some instances, ArrowUp/Down increment by integer, Option-ArrowUp/Down by 0.1.
  • Elsewhere, the increments depend on you Decimal Places settings in Preferences. That's what the Gutter Width does. D'oh.
  • Elsewhere, rather than just typing in numbers or having a slider, you get a popup menu with values?! (Yes, I'm looking at you, Opacity in Colors panel!)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 12/11/2022 at 12:58 PM, MikeTO said:

Hi, for me, it increments by 1 in both v1 and v2 and I have to hold down Opt to increment by .1.

I didn't think this was a shortcut you could customize so I don't know how you got it to increment by .1 without holding down Option/Alt but go ahead and try holding that down in v2 as it should work.

Cheers

It's crazy. In 1.X, it will actually increase the value by .01" at a time. That is still easier, because I can just use the mouse to quickly click the up arrow to my desired inset -- ten quick clicks to .1" inset. Now, having to hold down the Option key means I have to use two hands to accomplish the same task, but its still not as fine an adjustment as before, .1" at a time vs. .01". If I want a .25" inset, instead of just quickly clicking the up arrow a number of times using the mouse, I actually have to stop and type it in. With many text boxes with insets, this is cumbersome. Did this tool/feature just get "rough" edited and then not finished? I can't image an app designed for text editing that would mess up something like this. At this point, I am staying at 1.10.6 or whatever we are at, even though I paid for the upgrade to 2.0. Sad. Don't like the new icons either, FWIW. 

Just seems like everything in this world is getting screwed up in key details. 

I can find no differences between 1.0, 2.0, and 2.0.3 beta. I agree it should be fixed but it has not changed on macOS for me.

In the Context Bar, tested with mm and inches.

• Up/Down by 1 mm or 1 in. This is more far useful in mm than in inches so Serif's own team is likely not to experience this themselves.
  • Opt+Up to increase by 0.1 mm or 0.1 in. This is too fine for mm but useful for inches.
  • Opt+Down does not work at all.
  • Shift+Up/Down by 10mm or 10 in. Not at all useful but it works.

In the Text Frame panel - these work only for one keypress and then the field loses focus so it's not accessible from the keyboard:

• Up by 1mm or 1/100 in, very inconsistent with the Context Bar.
  • Opt+Up by 0.1mm or 1/1000 in, quite useless for inches and again inconsistent with the Context Bar
  • Shift+Up/Down by 10mm or 0.1 in, again inconsistent.
  • Down and Opt+Down don't not work at all.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 1 month later...