You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedded file keeps reverting back to linked version

SamMN

In a document I'm working on, I've got an SVG file that I want embedded in the document (as I want to make a change to the colours of the file in the document - as in, by double clicking on the embedded file so it opens the SVG in Designer mode in a new tab in Publisher). All works fine, but if I save and re-open the document, the file reverts back to linked, but Publisher still recognises there have been changes to the image because the Navigator box still shows the correct (edited) version, and it also flashes to the correct colour for a second when I flick Preview mode on and off.

I've done this a load of times in other documents and never encountered this glitch before. 

So in the screenshot, the KeyReads logo is in its original colours as a linked file in the document (according to Resource Manager, even though I'd switched and saved it as embedded), and in the Navigator box at the bottom right, as the altered white embedded version I wanted (and had saved) in the document. Turning on Preview mode turns the linked file to the white version for a second, before it goes back to the original colours.

Am I missing something obvious?

Screenshot 2022-09-13 at 10.17.30.png

• Staff
2 hours ago, SamMN said:

Am I missing something obvious?

I don't think so.  I've not been able to replicate this in a test file i've just made.  Whats your Image Placement Policy set to under File>Document Setup?

If you could provide the afpub file for this, that would help.

Edited by stokerg

It's set as 'Prefer Linked' (it contains a lot of images). I then switched that specific file to Embedded in Resource Manager. Unfortunately I can't upload the file to the forum publicly as it's a confidential company document.

In case it's useful, running Publisher 1.10.5, on an iMac 4K, 21.5 inch, 2017, , 16GB RAM, 3ghz quad core Intel i5, Radeon Pro 555 2GB, Monteray 12.6.

The file was originally created back in April 2021 and has been updated numerous times over the past year and a bit, so could've become a bit broken if Publisher has been updating versions since then (which obviously still isn't ideal)?

• Staff
55 minutes ago, SamMN said:

Unfortunately I can't upload the file to the forum publicly as it's a confidential company document.

Could you upload it to a private Dropbox link?  If so, use this:  https://www.dropbox.com/request/4MASKRaAtYUTJC8pa9hv All files are deleted once the issue has been investigated.

Would also be interesting to know if you can replicate the problem in a new file with the same SVG.

Sod's law it now seems to be working properly.

The only thing I can think is that it might have been triggered by opening the file in different locations. I.e. I work on that file on my personal Windows laptop at home, and at work on the office iMac, so although all the linked files sit in a OneDrive folder, the pathname of linked files changes when I open the file from a location that's different to when I was last working on it. Although that file was supposed to be embedded, might have glitched when it struggled to locate the other linked resources?

I'll try opening the file this evening on my personal laptop and see if that retriggers the glitch.