You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Paint" along path

Is there any way to use a path (freehand path, or parametric vector shape) to guide a "painting" tool?
I placed "painting" between quotes because it could also be a Blur, Sharpen, Smudge, Dodge, Burn... tool.
If there is a way, I haven't found it. When creating a new brush, there is a drop down to define an associated tool but I can't seem to find out what it does.
And, if there isn't such an option, there should be one.

I’m pretty sure that what you want isn’t possible at the moment but I’m also pretty sure that it’s been requested before.
(I did a quick search for paint vector and paint curve but there are too many results for me to easily go through.)

You can use certain brushes in Designer to paint along a curve/vector but Photo doesn’t have those brushes and the other functionality you mentioned doesn’t work with curves.

Here’s one thread which I found from 2016 which is asking for similar things but it’s not an actual request:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19670-how-to-limit-brush/

Edited by GarryP
Added more details.