You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All,
I am new to the forum but definitely not new to Affinity (Designer, Photo and Publisher).

I have a problem where I hope to find a solution for.
I am designing a logo which is my company name but written with a brush. As I want to be able to print and embroider the logo there is a problem with the brush converted to curves.

I like the appearance/style/outline contours of the brush but when printing and embroidering the logo there is too many open spaces within the lines. So I guess this will result in problems.

So what would be the solution to make the logo workable for printing and further brand appearance such as embroidering?
Does the logo needs to be filled in for example and how can this be achieved the best way while maintaining the style of the logo?

I have attached an example of a letter.
Thanks a lot!

example.afdesign

Hi @RobertJan

You won't be able to do much about it, as the translucent areas are part of the brushstroke. If the translucent areas were also filled, the brushstroke would lose its characteristic and create a completely different appearance.

However, after a certain reduction in size, you will no longer be able to perceive any or only a few spaces.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

1 hour ago, Komatös said:

Hi @RobertJan

You won't be able to do much about it, as the translucent areas are part of the brushstroke. If the translucent areas were also filled, the brushstroke would lose its characteristic and create a completely different appearance.

However, after a certain reduction in size, you will no longer be able to perceive any or only a few spaces.

I understand but I want it more or less the same but just solid with no void spaces.

8 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Not sure how to embroider "translucency" but if it´s just the overall shape I´d export to a high-res version to PNG and autotrace in Inkscape for instance. I don´t know if the embroidery software can handle 5k nodes on a small template though.

F.svg 235.27 kB · 1 download

Thanks a lot @PixelPest, that looks more like it. may I ask how you did this; what are the steps to follow?

I assume the white spaces within the F can be first filled in with black?

4 hours ago, RobertJan said:

I understand but I want it more or less the same but just solid with no void spaces.

Why not just use a different brush that doesn't have the voids to create the logo?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 9/12/2022 at 2:50 PM, R C-R said:

Why not just use a different brush that doesn't have the voids to create the logo?

I like the appearance of the logo already created with this brush but for some purposes like embroidery I would like to make it solid while maintaining the overal style as much as possible.

So what would the best way to achieve this?