You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assistent for baseline grid doesn't change space

Hello,

I am trying to build a layout and want to use the assistent for baseline grid. It shows up, changes color and transparency for the lines but I cannot change the space between these horizontal lines.

Besides that I have a problem in building columns in textframes. I only get one column.

Thank you very much for your help!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I presume you mean the Baseline Grid Manager, as I've shown below. With it, I have no trouble adjusting the grid spacing.

image.png.d2b097cd9bfc7b96ff7acbb96ed0b09f.png

If that doesn't work for you, it would help if you would create a sample .afpub file where you've tried to change it and failed, and upload that here so we can examine it and see what's happening.

1 hour ago, Claudia_S said:

Besides that I have a problem in building columns in textframes. I only get one column.

You should be able to set the number of columns in either the Context Toolbar or in the Text Frame studio panel.

image.thumb.png.31efcc8756fb80ca0a76999d9539bf19.png

or

image.png.3434bb0c5678c9c35036bc656bcfeaa5.png

If neither of those is working for you, some screenshots or, again, a sample .afpub file would help us see what's happening.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello Walt,

thank you very much for your reply!

Here are the screenshots of the baseline grid manager which doesn't change the horizontal lines (they seem to be fixed on 14 pt even after typing in 32 pt) and the column which cannot be changed to 4 columns. The document is attached, too.

Thank you very much for helping me!

Claudia

baselinegrid_no_change.jpg

columns_no_change.jpg

af_sample.afpub

Thanks.

Your sample .afpub file has the Baseline Grid set to 14 pt, and the number of columns set to 1. Are you sure you Saved the version with the changed Baseline Grid and with columns set to 4?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Your sample .afpub file has the Baseline Grid set to 14 pt, and the number of columns set to 1.

And for me both can be changed without problems in the sample file.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello R C - R,

thank you for your answer!

Yes, baseline grid and columns should be easy to change. I can see it in the tutorials by affinity and could read it in their handbook.

But, somehow, on my computer the baseline grid-lines are not moving at all when I set new spaces and the column doesn‘t become more than one column. Both are like fixed and immutable.

Have a nice day.