You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour and transparency fades on picture frames

I wanted to check in with the forums to see if I'm missing something here – 

Colour
When I create a picture frame, give it a colour and then  place an image into it, the image seems to ovveride the colour with a solid white. Is that expected? Images with transparency do it too, the difference being that they show the standard transarency checkerboard instead of white.

Transparency fade
Replacing an image inside a picture frame that has a transparency fade applied to it seems to delete or drastically change the fade if the file placed is a different file format than the one placed originally.

Applying a transparency fade on the picture frame itself does work, but that, again, gets overridden by placing an image inside it.

Can anyone confirm this or point out where I might not see something obvious?

Thanks!
Marco

1 hour ago, Bonteburg said:

Colour

If a Picture frame contains an Image then it seems to punch out any frame colouring
Once it's rasterised then the frame colour shows
Is it expected? Well, I have learnt not to expect anything to avoid disappointment ;-)

image.png.4a8ed6e5c66a2566681d7877d45b81d9.png

1 hour ago, Bonteburg said:

Transparency fade

I'll have to give that some thought after I've lit the barby so it may not be this evening

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Thanks! 

Rasterizing a placed image ... yes I heard that before in the context of Publisher.
It's not something that occurs to you easily coming from an InDesign backgorund. I shall check it out soonish.

Enjoy your meal. :D

Edit: A few things:
1) The .png I tested it with doesn't have transparency despite being named 'transparent' and looking like one.  Thanks Google, you had one job... ;)
With actual, well, transparent, images it works much more as expected.
2) I can't replace the transparency fade issue now. A few .jpgs and .png I tried worked fine. 
3) The rasterizing method in general makes me a bit nervous. What exactly does it do? What resolution does it land on?

So yeah, thanks, feel free to post more nuggets of wisdom. I'm in no particular hurry. Just poking around for now.

3 hours ago, Bonteburg said:

I wanted to check in with the forums to see if I'm missing something here – 

Colour
When I create a picture frame, give it a colour and then  place an image into it, the image seems to ovveride the colour with a solid white. Is that expected? Images with transparency do it too, the difference being that they show the standard transarency checkerboard instead of white.

Transparency fade
Replacing an image inside a picture frame that has a transparency fade applied to it seems to delete or drastically change the fade if the file placed is a different file format than the one placed originally.

Applying a transparency fade on the picture frame itself does work, but that, again, gets overridden by placing an image inside it.

Can anyone confirm this or point out where I might not see something obvious?

Thanks!
Marco

If you want to maintain a consistent transparency fade after you have replaced an image, you need to carry out the following steps:

1. Place the image and group it to create a new object BEFORE you apply the transparency  

2. Apply the transparency fade (note that the transparency fade will be applied onto the group and not directly onto the image)

3. Dig into the group and select the image

4. Replace the image and you will notice that the transparency fade has not shifted since the effect has been applied onto the group 

Working with Affinity's grouping method is magical to say the least. The group itself is defined as an object and will accept all the effects found in Affinity (transparency, outer shadows, bevels, inner glow etc...

For example, you can place an image or draw a rectangle and do the following:

1. Select Transparency Tool. Click and drag to apply a Linear Transparency effect to the right side of the object 

2. Group the object (you now have a new object)

3. Apply a Linear Transparency effect to the left side

4. Repeat step 2

5. Apply a Linear Transparency effect to the top side

6. Repeat step 2

7. Apply a Linear Transparency effect to the bottom side

8. Now if you ungroup several times, you are left with the original object minus the left, top and bottom transparency effects.