You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixilating art or photo

2 hours ago, Fay Mann said:

How do I create the results shown in these photos, whether starting with photos or art?

Are you asking about the white lines that look like a reflection of a (fluorescent/) light on a pane of glass or something else?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I like the third one.

It looks like the same tree but in two different seasons.
And then there's the color splash. I confess I'm not a fan of this effect but, on this one, the color works great.
Probably the first time I saw this effect was over 20 years ago in the movie "Schindler's List" when a child stood out from the crowd in her red dress.

Very creative.

All three designs, from what I can see, seem to use something called clipping which you can learn about in the linked video.

Apart from that they all use other different processes and those processes will depend on which one you want to recreate.

I still don’t understand where the thread title of “Pixilating art or photo” comes into this so maybe I’m not seeing in your images something which you saw in the original posters.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/318402519/

Assuming what you are after is the shape over an image with that sort of colour effect:

Open the picture you want to use.
Create the shape you want to put on top. (In this case, four triangles arranged, "added" together, then coloured.)
Set the blend mode of the shape (top layer) to Multiply. (Other blend modes might work better, depending on colours used, the base image, effect wanted.)

Untitled.thumb.png.668bfa1883f1207e2c6e80d19f22bb77.png

If this isn't what you're asking about, I think we do need an explanation of exactly what effect you are after. (To be honest, I don't really understand what you mean by "pixelating" in this context!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

All of those pictures you posted are two image, one on top of the other.

1165641481_ScreenShot2022-09-10at10_20_46AM.png.293bb1e4daa6cfe2083eb184dab18cb3.png

Here is how the mask was made, I include this for clarity. I actually just made it in-situ and rasterized the Background, curves  and recolour section.

421384115_ScreenShot2022-09-10at10_19_59AM.png.80c891bf2aa492e7463cd3a26130c711.png

You can use whichever Adjustment you want for the inset picture, I used Green Recolour.

Interestingly the image of the Cherry Blossoms is actually two pictures of the Tree, one in fall and then the one in spring is clipped.

The one of the numbers are two separate images.

The top one may just be an inverted copy of the underlying image or the blend mode may be different for the masked / clipped layer. Or it could well be two different images as in the one of the numbers, this is what I suspect as the other two examples are of separate images.

Blend modes can be your friend at times. Some very interesting results can be achieved by changing the colour of a rectangle placed over part of an image and have the rectangle set to Difference for a blend mode.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Blend modes won't do this.

1735425354_ScreenShot2022-09-10at1_13_24PM.png.99ab6b1564d110f4d507f4f9ef6e6292.png

I remain convinced they are all two images, one atop the other.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.