You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a simple way to add captions to photos? The only solution I can find is to open the photo in Publisher, add a text frame below for the caption, group the frame and the photo and export the whole selection as a new photo. Seems like there ought to be a simpler way. Even in Microsoft Word I can easily add captions to photos, but I would prefer not to go that route.

You could do something similar directly in Affinity Photo, rather than using Publisher, but the basic approach you've chosen is what you'll need to do, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Why not use the Frame Text or Artistic Text tool/s in APhoto?
After adding text, go to File > Export to save the new edited image.
Or;
If you are happy to save over the original image use File > Save, and in the popup Save window choose Save Flattened from the options and then close the image in APhoto.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

30 minutes ago, lgoodwin said:

...but the frame text can't extend below the frame of the picture, thus overwriting the lower part of the photo...

Sorry, but I’m not sure now of what you are trying to do with image and text?
Are you wanting to add text to images that are part of a larger document/page, with areas outside of the actual images?
Could you post some screenshots for clarification?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Thinking on this some more, are you wanting to add text just bellow individual images?
If so; after using one of APhoto’s text tools, position your text where you wish it below the actual image, don’t worry that you can’t see your text just now.
Next, go to; Document > Unclip Canvas.
Your canvas area should now have extended to include your text.
If you need the image in a format that normally supports transparency in an image, .png for example, but you do not want the area behind the text to be transparent, switch to the Export persona and in the list of export options, select a colour for the Matte option and then export from there.

We just posted simultaneously I think😀
See my post above the example you just posted!

• 1 month later...

After reading the above replies, I will be able to get captions in one way or another.  But I am surprised that Publisher does not provide a way to make this easier; adding a caption to a photo is surely a common task.  Adding the caption into the photo itself means that the caption cannot be updated easily.  What I'd like to do is define a style for captions; if I decide later that (let's say) the captions should be one point larger, I just change the style.  But that won't work if the captions are hard-wired into the photos.  I tried grouping a caption (in a text frame below the photo) and its adjacent photo (in a photo frame) but that does not seem possible.  If it were, then picture and caption would move together if the text were changed.

Also, I cannot find a way to set up captions such as "Figure 1.   Picture of . . . " where the numbers adjust automatically if one inserts or deletes a figure.  This is a very useful feature.  Is it one of those things (like footnotes) that Publisher just does not support?

13 minutes ago, DJP said:

I tried grouping a caption (in a text frame below the photo) and its adjacent photo (in a photo frame) but that does not seem possible.  If it were, then picture and caption would move together if the text were changed.

What I do is make a Picture Frame of the proper size I then make a Frame Text text frame (not an Art Text text frame) I arrange them and group them. If necessary I will pin them in the best location in the text with appropriate offsets so they will flow with the text.

The pinning of art in a text flow is fraught with complications, some times the pinning location will mean the image has to move to another frame/page/spread when text is added or deleted earlier in the flow. This then leaves a void in the original location and the text flows back into it, dragging the pinned art with it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, DJP said:

I tried grouping a caption (in a text frame below the photo) and its adjacent photo (in a photo frame) but that does not seem possible.  If it were, then picture and caption would move together if the text were changed.

It certainly is possible, as Old Bruce mentioned.

1 hour ago, DJP said:

Also, I cannot find a way to set up captions such as "Figure 1.   Picture of . . . " where the numbers adjust automatically if one inserts or deletes a figure.  This is a very useful feature.  Is it one of those things (like footnotes) that Publisher just does not support?

That is supported. You need to use the Name field in the Paragraph panel under Bullets and Numbers, or in the Paragraph Text Style you create (preferred). And you may need to make it a Global Name.

Here's a sample document that shows the grouping and the numbering.

Numbered-Captions.afpub

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1