You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a regular requirement to create DVD and BD disk labels. The industry standard is for copyright info to run around the edge of the disk. This was easy to create in Photoshop.

When I opened an existing PSD file in Affinity Photo it converted all the edge text to three horizontal lines at the top of the area.

Can Affinity cope with text on a curve? How can I create new text on a curve? How can I open a PSD with text on a curve without changes?

I don't think that's the reason (AP can't do text on curves)

AP can actually display and even modify text on curves but text on curves can only be created in AD.

Photo adjustments can also be adjusted in Designer but they can't be created in Designer.

And I'd rather see that as a bonus (that you can edit them in each app) rather than a malus (that they don't push everything in one app)

I think the issue is simply the PSD importer which can't handle this situation right now.
The devs would have to take a look at the file to see if they can improve that so it would be necessary to upload it here or post a Dropbox link here or Dropbox it directly to MEB or mail it to the devs...

Sorry MBd but I couldn't disagree more. It was stated by one of the devs in a thread sometime ago in relation to this question, that keeping text on a curve out of Affinity Photo was a conscious decision in order keep the two applications separate. A decision that just doesn't make sense to me. If you're not going to have text on a curve in AP then why have text at all? This decision forces a photographer who has no need for a vector graphics application to purchase one so he can have more latitude when adding text to photos for what ever reason he may need. Leaving text on a curve out of AP seems a very arbitrary decision and one I don't understand. 

You are absolutely correct in saying the ability edit a file in each app is a great bonus but isn't it an equally great bonus that AD has pixel based tools to paint vector art so you can do those kinds of additions without going into Photo? Including that kind functionality in AD is a great idea that makes perfect sense. How does it make sense that you can paint with pixels in a vector program but you can't put text on a curve in a photo editing program?

As I have said before I hope text on a curve for AP is something that will be reconsidered for a future update. Clearly photographers need this addition to the text functionality.

My answer was mainly focused on the PSD import error/ bug which seems to me to be the reason rather than the lack of functionality itself...

The issue about adding this feature to AP can be discussed, it could also be discussed why the live perspective filter is not available in AD although it's requested frequently (one reason might be that it gives pixel and not vector output).

I personally think text on path does not need to be added to a photo manipulation software but it's also easy to say for me cause I've got designer anyway...

Neither of our apps supports importing text on curves from PSD files. The reason is that PSD is an under-documented format, and we've not been able to figure out how the path text is represented just from looking at examples. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but unless Adobe make their file formats public (or someone in our office has a brainwave) this is unlikely to change.

Dave, I appreciate the difficulty you face dealing with the complexities and deficiencies of the PSD format and applaud what you have achieved. But part of GulfMediaMan's inquiry was "How can I create new text on a curve?". Because AP can't do text on a curve he must use Designer.

This is an issue you can deal with and would at least give photographers using Affinity Photo the ability to repair text that doesn't import from Photoshop correctly. Including text on a curve in Affinity Photo just seems like a no-brainer to me especially in light of the PSD format issue you describe.

I too hope Affinity will reconsider the omission of this feature from Photo.  Although Designer is a great value for those who do any sort of illustration, I would really only use it for text-on-a-curve, superimposed on top of photographs. I can accomplish this, inelegantly, but taking my final photograph and using a $3 iPhone app to add the text, but it would be so much more convenient to just finish the job in Photo.  I think this is why Adobe saw the merits of including the feature in Photoshop and not just illustrator.  

I do have a need for a page layout program, and I assume Affinity Publisher will have a lot of text handling features including text-on-path. Hopefully this will enable the feature in AP as well...?