You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live filter layer doesn't work with Paint Brush tool(v1.10.5.1342)

Hi, I have a problem with live filter layer.

I couldn't apply halftone effect on pixel layer which is made by only paint brush tool.

Like halftone effect, other live filter effect also doesn't work.

You can see my situation on my attached video clip.

But on normal image case, live filter(halftone) works fine.

How can I fix, or use live filter layer with paint brush tool?

I read similar post(below link) on this forum, and confirm that my brush works are done by unchecked 'protect alpha.'

Tried this on a screen grab of the image from the video and it works ok, any chance of uploading the file?

image.png.bd877415bdd50f4c468ca3b73d3135e3.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Works here, too. – But I wonder why the layer thumbnail does not show my selection as masked area – and also what the vertical line | would indicate in the OP's filter thumbnail? A huge canvas and possibly thus a delay in showing the filter effect?

I often experience a delay in thumbnail updates after any change but here it appears not to get shown correctly, – agree?

500574123_livefilterhalftone.thumb.jpg.c7e3149cd710ddf9af48b3e13ef82e54.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Works here, too. – But I wonder why the layer thumbnail does not show my selection as masked area – and also what the vertical line | would indicate in the OP's filter thumbnail? A huge canvas and possibly thus a delay in showing the filter effect?

I often experience a delay in thumbnail updates after any change but here it appears not to get shown correctly, – agree?

500574123_livefilterhalftone.thumb.jpg.c7e3149cd710ddf9af48b3e13ef82e54.jpg

I experience that vertical line thumbnail on layer panel when pixel layer contains image made by paint brush tool only.

like your posting, when I captured same image on my video and apply halftone effect, then it works fine.

It's because the sketches aren't opaque, they are translucent, semi transparent, if you make a selection, create a new pixel layer and fill it with a grey colour and then apply the halftone live filter you will get the halftone effect being applied to the opaque colour, I noticed the filter was affecting the scarf and that was opaque.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions