You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shrinking/Enlarging Document Text Styles

I have a document of a certain dimension - photo album. I decided to shrink it a bit to fit a printer's capabilities to print photo books.

The process is easy - I "anchor to page" then "Rescale" "All Spreads. The document pages all shrink to the proper size and all objects are also shrunk down to accommodate the settings. Then I follow up with rescaling the Masters too.

In my case, all of my text boxes' text are "controlled" by Text Styles. Upon examining the text boxes, I see that the text has automatically shrunk from 14 points to 13.2 points. This is good and what I expected. Then I checked the Text Style (still) associated with that text and it is still set to 14 points.

I do not know the intent here, but it would seem that there *should* be an option during the Rescale to have controlling Text Styles optionally ALSO change to match the final text in the document itself (and, are there other features that should be made to be in sync in a similar vein too?).

You can imagine the difficulty of manually having to go through all the text styles to change their Font size to match the now rescaled document text. I have not been able to come up with a rationale for keeping the Text Style font sizes as they were before the rescale was done.

Thanks for some enlightenment on this issue.

26 minutes ago, thetasig said:

Thanks for some enlightenment on this issue.

What would work for you in this instance may not work in another instance. The text is resized as a bunch of overrides.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

thetasig: I’ve just tried to replicate the issue you have reported and I can confirm that, when I rescale the spread, the text in the document is resized appropriately but the font sizes in the Text Styles remain as they were before the resize.

If you look at the Character/Paragraph style which is now applied to the text you should see that the style is now <style-name>+ (with a plus) rather than <style-name>.
This tell the user that the formatting is not the formatting which was applied using the style; you can also see that the font size has changed in the Text Styles Panel (and elsewhere).

I think that this is because the Text Styles are shared between spreads and you can rescale spreads separately.
This means that the original font sizes in the styles are preserved for spreads which have not been rescaled; otherwise the font sizes would have to be resized across all spreads which would cause problems on the non-rescaled spreads.

I guess an option to automatically resize the font sizes in the styles could be made available when rescaling all spreads but I don’t have enough information to know if that would cause other problems or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, this is the intended effect of a feature that frequently catches newcomers off-guard.  Down at the bottom right of every text frame there are two corner drag handles.  One resizes the frame, and the contents reflows to fit.  The other rescales the frame, including its contents.  It is a very common mistake for people to drag the rescale handle, and then come to the forums asking why their text is all too big or too small, but only in certain frames.

On several occasions, I have wished that I could build a hierarchy of styles where font sizes were expressed proportionally relative to the parent style, rather than in absolute sizes.  I.e., define a child style font size change to 0.85 the parent size, rather than to 10pt.  I resign myself to the lack of that feature by telling myself I'd probably want to tweak the results by hand anyway.  If you built a style hierarchy that way, just changing the size on the Base style would ripple down through all the descendants automatically.

There is absolutely nothing stopping the Affinity suite from presenting (and allowing edits on) font sizes in relative mode, rather than absolute mode, regardless of how style properties are stored internally.  But I think the OP got the clean, and desired, behavior from rescaling all the text frames.