You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer, key combo for duplicate

17 minutes ago, Furry said:

Should I save before my next attempt to correct the key combination or after I have done so?

You can do both, save one before & after. Or just one and at least remember which one you saved (a before or after one).

I saved my default one from ADe into the users downloads directory and it's binary plist looks like this ...

shortcuts-plist.jpg.770f3ecf6778ff831b7f1eb045a5658e.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Sorry about the delay. I do have one or two things in my ife other than sorting a rogue Designer!

I forgot to save before but I saved after attempting once again (again unsuccessfully) to change the key combination. I changed ther title of the saved files by adding a number just before the period. The one I saved previously now has the file name AffinityShortcut1.affshortcuts and the one I saved just now has the file name AffinityShortcut2.affshortcuts. I don't know which application they are meant to open in (probably none) but I opened them in TextEdit, a Mac simple text app, but could make no sense of what I saw. I gather from what you have said that you are using Windows.

I have also uploaded the shortcuts.affshortcuts file that is in my ~Library/etc folder in the hope that you may be able to make some sense out of it. I have done a disk-wide search and the only shortcuts.plist files (each of them again somewhere in ~Library) are to do with other apps completely. There is no such file for Designer.

AffinityShortcut1.affshortcuts AffinityShortcut2.affshortcuts shortcuts.affshortcuts

Main machine is 2019 27" iMac running Mojave 10.14.6 (until I can get off Adobe CS) with 8GB of RAM. Also have 2022 12" Macbook Air running Ventura 13.6.4, also with 8GB of RAM. Because of the limitations of Mojave, am still using Affinity v1 on my main machine.

Oh, and here is a screen shot of the relevant panel in my Preferences window as at about 20 minutes ago, after I had done the changes mentioned in my last post. I forgot to reduce the resolution so it will be big on screen. At least Duplicate doesn't have the little yellow triangle now.

Affinity DesignerScreenSnapz001.jpg

Main machine is 2019 27" iMac running Mojave 10.14.6 (until I can get off Adobe CS) with 8GB of RAM. Also have 2022 12" Macbook Air running Ventura 13.6.4, also with 8GB of RAM. Because of the limitations of Mojave, am still using Affinity v1 on my main machine.

3 minutes ago, Furry said:

I don't know which application they are meant to open in (probably none) but I opened them in TextEdit, a Mac simple text app, but could make no sense of what I saw. I gather from what you have said that you are using Windows.

I'm on MacOS El Capitan (see my signature) and opening them with TextEdit won't work. The *.affshortcuts" files a MacOS binary plists just with a different filename extension, thus you would have to rename "AffinityShortcut2.affshortcuts" to "AffinityShortcut2.plist" in order to be able to open these with some app which is capable to showup Apple binary plist files!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Thanks for the explanation. I have no idea how to add that sort of information to my signature (and must admit that I hadn't even looked at yours) and no idea which application to use to open a plist.

12 minutes ago, Furry said:

...and no idea which application to use to open a plist.

You have either to convert a binary plist to readable XML format with "plutil" via the Terminal.app in order to preview/edit it ...

plutil -convert xml1 AffinityShortcut2.plist

... now you can open that in let's say TextEdit too, and in order to convert it again back to binary plist file then ...

plutil -convert binary1 AffinityShortcut2.plist

... OR ...

use some suitable tool or editor (like BBEdit, Sublime Text with an added plist plugin ... etc.) which are capable of opening and showing up binary plist files!

I'm almost sorry I asked. 😇

Unless I get really desperate I will leave it to you and others in the forum who are far more expert than I.

As expected your "AffinityShortcut2.affshortcuts" is setup and structured differently as my above shown one.

AffinityShortcut2-list.jpg.af52d0fb5c3394572b787850aaddcf0f.jpg

Uh... yes? (I don't really know what that means)

So what is the next step?

3 minutes ago, Furry said:

So what is the next step?

You can download my above attached ADe default "AffinityShortcut.affshortcuts" file and try if you can load that into your ADe version, or exchange that file with the one under your ADe library path before starting ADe. - Both a just tryouts in order to see if it possibly makes any difference then at all or not!

This is bizarre. I downloaded both the AffinityShortcut1.affshortcuts & AffinityShortcut2.affshortcuts files, & one at a time loaded each of them into AD on my Mac. They both did show the Option-Shift-CMD-S shortcut for delete, both in both I could successfully change that to CMD-J, quit the app, & have CMD-J remain for that shortcut on the next launch of the app.

So it would seem that there is nothing inherently wrong in either of those two files that should prevent changing & retaining that shortcut to the app default, but what is preventing that from working for @Furry remains a mystery to me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

You can download my above attached ADe default "AffinityShortcut.affshortcuts" file and try if you can load that into your ADe version, or exchange that file with the one under your ADe library path before starting ADe. - Both a just tryouts in order to see if it possibly makes any difference then at all or not!

Maybe because it getting late at night here, but will need more detailed instructions than that. Do I change the name back to shortcuts.affshortcuts and then place it in the ~Library/Application Sipport/Affinity Designer folder in place of the one that is there? Or have I misunderstood yet again?

I'm glad it remains a mystery to you, R C-R, as it sure does to me. I feel as if, after around 24 years of using Macs, I am back trying to figure out how to use my very first Mac SE and not understanding the questions, let alone the answers.

Since it is coming up to midnight, it may be a while before my next post.

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So it would seem that there is nothing inherently wrong in either of those two files that should prevent changing & retaining that shortcut to the app default, but what is preventing that from working for @Furry remains a mystery to me.

Don't know how he has installed ADe on his Mojave system, if there are other specific security & access rights setup or the like (?). Or if there has somewhere been some "AffinityShortcut.affshortcuts" file left over, which takes precedence here when his ADe startsup etc.

5 minutes ago, Furry said:

Maybe because it getting late at night here, but will need more detailed instructions than that. Do I change the name back to shortcuts.affshortcuts and then place it in the ~Library/Application Sipport/Affinity Designer folder in place of the one that is there? Or have I misunderstood yet again?

Yes, though depends on the name it had there before, So which was the default name of the "xxxx.affshortcuts" file there when you found/saw that inside the "~Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer" folder ("shortcuts.affshortcuts" or "AffinityShortcut.affshortcuts")? - However, if it was "shortcuts.affshortcuts", then download my above attached file and rename it to that same filename you initially had there in use for the ".affshortcuts" file and exchange the files.

You caught me just beforeI went to bed.

I went to my account page on the Affinity site, downloaded the affinity-designer-1.10.5.dmg from there. Launched it. Dragged the Affinity Designer app onto the Applications alias in the window of the .dmg and it appeared immediately in my Applications folder. Then I double-clicked it to launch it, pasted in the Product Key (I already had it recorded but Affinity helpfully showed it on my account page on their web site) and, when the net screen appeared asking me to regtister the app, I clicked the appropriate link and that was that.

I did a search of my entire hard disk and the only instancxe of AffinityShortcut.affshortcuts is in my download folder.

Now it has gone midnight and, because I need to be up and active in the morning, this is definitely "Good Night!"

48 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Don't know how he has installed ADe on his Mojave system, if there are other specific security & access rights setup or the like (?). Or if there has somewhere been some "AffinityShortcut.affshortcuts" file left over, which takes precedence here when his ADe startsup etc.

I can't think of any way a leftover *.affshortcuts file could have any effect on loading a different one (since that should replace any leftover one) so it seems like the only thing that makes much sense at this point is some sort of permissions issue that is somehow preventing the app from saving the changes made to whatever the current keyboard shortcuts are set to when the app is quit.

That seems very unlikely, but so does what @Furry just said about the only instance of an AffinityShortcut.affshortcuts file on the HD is in the download folder. Surely there should be a version of that file named "shortcuts.affshortcuts" in the Application Support folder, which I think for the Affinity app store install should be at path ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer/shortcuts.affshortcuts if the changes he made in the preferences file actually are being saved.

So at this point, all I can think of to check is the permissions privileges for every folder in the file path to that Application Support folder using Finder's "Get Info" function. All should show that Furry has read & write privileges. If not, that probably would explain it ... I think!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

35 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Surely there should be a version of that file named "shortcuts.affshortcuts" in the Application Support folder, which I think for the Affinity app store install should be at path ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer/shortcuts.affshortcuts if the changes he made in the preferences file actually are being saved.

That one usually should be taken into account then by ADe for subsequent ADe startups, and also should have appropriate r/w permissions, so ADe can alter that file if shortcuts are changed by the user.

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

That one usually should be taken into account then by ADe for subsequent ADe startups, and also should have appropriate r/w permissions, so ADe can alter that file if shortcuts are changed by the user.

But it should at least exist if there are no permissions issues preventing it from being created when @Furry alters any of the keyboard shortcuts, right? As I understand it, that file should be written to automatically whenever any change is made to the shortcuts in the preference. @Furry just recently said that there was a change made that was retained, just not the one for Duplicate, so it makes no sense to me that the file is completely missing from the Application Support folder.

There is also the continuing mystery of why both AD & APub both seem to have the wrong shortcut for Duplicate & neither one (?) can be changed & retain the change on the next startup, & why the Serif Defaults button does not reset everything to the defaults, including for Duplicate.

Affinity Photo 

@Furry,

I have been following this thread with an almost morbid interest and am baffled. The only thing I can think of is if you have a non-standard* keyboard and / or some keyboard utilities installed and running, even if they are builtin ones for a completely different application. Then there are the various OS Preferences for Language and Region and Keyboard. Check each tab in those sections, look for languages and Input sources. Look for Command + J and the Command + Option + Shift + S

In addition I find it curious that the File > Export shortcut is the one that is popping up for Duplicate.

961158677_ScreenShot2022-09-10at9_39_20AM.png.f962851501fa99d01708e3dee9e81075.png

*A non-standard keyboard could be a third party (not an Apple) keyboard or a non "English" keyboard. Japanese, German etc.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

... There is also the continuing mystery of why both AD & APub both seem to have the wrong shortcut for Duplicate & neither one (?) can be changed & retain the change on the next startup, & why the Serif Defaults button does not reset everything to the defaults, including for Duplicate.

Actually hard to tell why that happens without inspecting his system on site, but there is for sure some reason for this odd behaviour. - We've just to find out the reason of all evil here!

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I have been following this thread with an almost morbid interest and am baffled. The only thing I can think of is if you have a non-standard* keyboard and / or some keyboard utilities installed and running, even if they are builtin ones for a completely different application.

I hope @Furry would have mentioned it long before now if there were any keyboard utilities running on the system, but maybe not. Ditto for a non-standard keyboard, but who knows?

But regardless, to me the only thing that makes even a little sense to me is something that could affect both AD & APub & somehow just a few of the default keyboard shortcuts.

Affinity Photo 

OK, I have had a night's sleep and have read through the posts that appeared while I slept. So let me clear up a little bit of confusion (and maybe even the initial problem).

I am using a standard keyboard that came with my iMac. It is listed on my Bluetooth menu as "Magic Keyboard." When I open the Keyboard/Input Sources panel of my System preferences it shows "Australian" as the selected source and there are no other options.

One curious thing in the Keyboard/shortcuts pane of System Preferences: When I select "App Shortcuts" (the very last item), under "All Applications" it shows "Duplicate Option+Shift+Command+S" and again, under "Finder.app" it shows "Duplicate Option+Shift+Command+S" — the very combination we have been trying to eliminate in Designer. There seems to be no way I can delete either of them from the Keyboard/Shortcuts panel but, If I select each of them and type a different combination, it will accept the new combination. I changed each instance to Command+J.

Then, lo-and-behold, when I went to Designer (which had been open while I made those changes) it shows the key combination for Duplicate as Command+J !!!!! I checked and the one in AffPub has also switched to Command+J.

Weird.

In the meantime, following on a comment from Old Bruce (I think, maybe someone else?), I went back and checked again. Yes, in the whole of my hard disk, there is ONLY ONE instance of "AffinityShortcut.affshortcuts" and that is in my Downloaded folder since I downloaded it from v_kyr's post on the first page of this thread. Why not in ~Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer? Because the file there has a different name it is called "shortcuts.affshortcuts." I don't know why the different names – perhaps one of you can explain.

I have never attempted to change the shortcut for Duplicate in AffPub and so there is no shortcuts.affshortcuts file in that folder.

Can anybody make sense of all that? I am totally mystified.

41 minutes ago, Furry said:

When I select "App Shortcuts" (the very last item), under "All Applications" it shows "Duplicate Option+Shift+Command+S" and again, under "Finder.app" it shows "Duplicate Option+Shift+Command+S" — the very combination we have been trying to eliminate in Designer.

For each of them their should have been on the left an indication of what the shortcut was for & the key combination for the shortcut on the right. So what were these shortcuts for?

Affinity Photo 

Well yes . . . in a way.

Perhaps it is easiest if I show you my System Preferences/Keyboard/Shortcuts panel.

586207433_SystemPreferencesScreenSnapz001.jpg.3766b0fc1a6013425f30dec12f2a16f1.jpg

For some odd reason in my drafted post only the top of this image is showing. I hope the whole thing shows up when I post but, eve if it doesn't, you should be able to download it to see it. If not, I will try again.

Aah . . . it did show.

7 hours ago, Furry said:

One curious thing in the Keyboard/shortcuts pane of System Preferences: When I select "App Shortcuts" (the very last item), under "All Applications" it shows "Duplicate Option+Shift+Command+S" and again, under "Finder.app" it shows "Duplicate Option+Shift+Command+S" — the very combination we have been trying to eliminate in Designer. There seems to be no way I can delete either of them from the Keyboard/Shortcuts panel but, If I select each of them and type a different combination, it will accept the new combination. I changed each instance to Command+J.

Then, lo-and-behold, when I went to Designer (which had been open while I made those changes) it shows the key combination for Duplicate as Command+J !!!!! I checked and the one in AffPub has also switched to Command+J.

Strange! - I for my part just/only have the "Show Help menu" entry there.

keyb-setup.jpg.17cad5e00d537a0d0ae51b0361fe0aaf.jpg

However, does the cmd-j shortcut now work inside ADe + APub? - Does it duplicate?