You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer, key combo for duplicate

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Rename it (to aff.shortcuts-backup or the like), so you can keep it as a backup file and in order to make sure it won't be taken into account the next time you start ADe. Then close and restart ADe in order to see if it makes any difference or not. - Since what you want to accomplish is, that ADe v.1.10.5 should fall back to to it's initial defaults here, where Cmd-j is/should usually be predefined as a default key combo for that command.

It would be be better to close ADe before making changes to the file, then restart it after making the change.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It would be be better to close ADe before making changes to the file, then restart it after making the change.

If ADe keeps an open file handle on that file during it's runtime then yes.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

18 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

If ADe keeps an open file handle on that file during it's runtime then yes.

It's not just that it may keep an open file handle. Typically, in my experience, the Affinity apps update those files during the shutdown process. So, if you delete it, then close the program, it may simply be recreated with the wrong info at that point.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Typically, in my experience, the Affinity apps update those files during the shutdown process. So, if you delete it, then close the program, it may simply be recreated with the wrong info at that point.

Again it depends on how it's internally handled here. - If the file is always (over-)written/recreated as a whole during the app closing/shutdown process, since it's stored in binary plist format on Macs (thus some iterated through collection structure), then it shouldn't matter that much at all. - And I doubt that it's handled incrementally here, meaning that only certain changed collection (data) structure entries are then updated as needed when altered. As it's easier to always write out the whole data structure at once here, thus always overwrite the whole file!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Again it depends on how it's internally handled here.

How the file is written doesn't matter. It's when the file is written.

My point is, that your sequence was delete/rename file, then close the app, the reopen the app to see if things work when the fine is recreated by the app.

But, since the app may recreate the file as it closes, that sequence probably doesn't work. You need close the app first, then manipulate the file, for a valid test.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

How the file is written doesn't matter. It's when the file is written.

Of course it is, especially here if you are just adding/changing something to an already existing file, or instead always recreate  a non existing one from scratch!

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

My point is, that your sequence was delete/rename file, then close the app, the reopen the app to see if things work when the fine is recreated by the app.

But, since the app may recreate the file as it closes, that sequence probably doesn't work. You need close the app first, then manipulate the file, for a valid test.

That usually goes without saying, even if I inadvertently didn't wrote it in that order above! - Modifying or deleting app dependent external files is for sureness always best done for the closed not running apps!

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Rename it (to aff.shortcuts-backup or the like), so you can keep it as a backup file and in order to make sure it won't be taken into account the next time you start ADe. Then close and restart ADe in order to see if it makes any difference or not. - Since what you want to accomplish is, that ADe v.1.10.5 should fall back to it's initial defaults here, where Cmd-j is/should usually be predefined as a default key combo for that command.

I hope this works but I doubt that it will, mostly because @Furry said that resetting to defaults did not work, which should have loaded the default set from the app. That makes me think that, while it seems unlikely, somehow the app package itself is damaged or corrupted. If so, reinstalling the app itself would be the next step.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

31 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I hope this works but I doubt that it will, mostly because @Furry said that resetting to defaults did not work, which should have loaded the default set from the app. That makes me think that, while it seems unlikely, somehow the app package itself is damaged or corrupted. If so, reinstalling the app itself would be the next step.

The OP has to try out and see if it makes any difference or not here. - In case the before said doesn't change the odd behavior for him, he has to remove the app and any of it's leftovers completely from his Majove system and afterwards reinstall the app freshly new from ground up.

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Of course it is, especially here if you are just adding/changing something to an already existing file, or instead always recreate  a non existing one from scratch

I'm taking about this specific case, and this specific fine not something general. It does not matter how that particular file is updated by Affinity, only when it is updated. That's why the order of user operations on that file outside of the application matters. 

-- Walt
PC:

When deleting files like this it is imperative, in my experience, to have the application not running. Quit then delete. Best practice. Prevents corruption of files. 

If you don't Quit first then bad things can happen, shouldn't but could.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm taking about this specific case...

We've already made clear that the OP might want to close the ADe app here then first, before deleting or renaming the affshortcuts file and afterwards restart ADe, in order to see if that makes any difference for the app. - In the meantime, we also advised that if nothing changes/works as expected, that the OP then has to completely deinstall and newly reinstall the app, in order to see if that fixes the issue!

53 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

The OP has to try out and see if it makes any difference or not here.

But even if it does, there still has to be some reason resetting the keyboard shortcuts to app defaults (whether the button is labeled "Reset" or "Serif Defaults") did not work, so that still points to some issue with that function in the app itself.

However, I think at one point @Furry said two of the Affinity apps installed on the Mac were both showing the same non-default shortcut (Option+Shift+Command+S) for Edit > Duplicate & neither one of them could be changed to the default CMD+J in either app's Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts, so it also seems possible there is something else causing this not to work, like maybe some third party 'helper' add-on that overrides certain app-level keyboard shortcuts with its own shortcuts instead.

So just as a test, it might be worth changing some shortcut other than the one for duplicate to some non-default value & see if that survives restarting the effected app(s).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

OK folks, the mystery deepens . . .

I read through all the advice offered in this forum and then took action.

I tried renaming the  .affshortcuts file to something else, having first quit Designer. However, when it relaunched, there was no change and the Duplicate keychange was still Option+Shift+Command+S.

I then took the drastic (at least to me) step of deleting the Designer app completely, using the handy little utility, AppCleaner, to get rid of all the associated files (including .affshortcuts and everything else in that ~Library folder) as well.

Then I went to my account on the Affinity web site and downloaded Designer all over again and re-installed it. Once I had registered it and gone through all that license agreement and other stuff that is part of launching it for the first time, lo-and-behold, the key combination for Duplicate shows as Option+Shift+Command+S, not Command-J! I opened preferences and attempted to change it to Cpommand+J, quite the app and relaunched.

Absolutely no change! Talk about a waste of time! Oh, and AffPublisher is also still showing Option+Shift+Command+S for Duplicate.

Puh-leese, is there some software engineer from Affinity reading this who can solve this problem? 😳

Main machine is 2019 27" iMac running Mojave 10.14.6 (until I can get off Adobe CS) with 8GB of RAM. Also have 2022 12" Macbook Air running Ventura 13.6.4, also with 8GB of RAM. Because of the limitations of Mojave, am still using Affinity v1 on my main machine.

Sorry, Palatino, that was two pages ago and I had overlooked it. I have now downloaded it but am unsure what to do with it. Should it go in my ~Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer folder? Should it replace the shortcuts.affshortcuts file that is there at the moment (slightly differtent title)?

And I don't know what you mean by “changed the program language.”

Main machine is 2019 27" iMac running Mojave 10.14.6 (until I can get off Adobe CS) with 8GB of RAM. Also have 2022 12" Macbook Air running Ventura 13.6.4, also with 8GB of RAM. Because of the limitations of Mojave, am still using Affinity v1 on my main machine.

Hmmm . . .

I do not speak or read German but worked out that I needed to click the Load button in the Keyboard shortcuts panel of Preferences. I did that, selected the file you posted and, presumably, that file was loaded somewhere (though I don't know where). It is NOT in ~Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer.

Then I went to the General panel of Preferences, changed the language from English to Default and was informed that I needed to restart the application. I did that, closed the Preference panel and checked the Edit menu. Duplicate still has the Option+Shift+Command+S key combination.

3 hours ago, Furry said:

Duplicate still has the Option+Shift+Command+S key combination.

That should usually be instead the Export keyb shortcut (aka Opt + Shift + Cmd + S = Export).

export.jpg.9cf9f7e608ce8a6de862d421f2f37acb.jpg

duplicate.jpg.33ad50e745259e8b8faf850058f4ad3b.jpg

To v_kyr:

It is. Both actions in my Preferences (in my brand-new, freshly installed Designer 1.10.5) are shown with Option+Shift+Command+S as their shortcut combination and both have the little yellow triangle beside them, indicating that the key combination is also used b another action.

And that is from scratch on a newly-installed Designer.

What do I do next? Buy a new computer?

12 minutes ago, Furry said:

To v_kyr:

It is. Both actions in my Preferences (in my brand-new, freshly installed Designer 1.10.5) are shown with Option+Shift+Command+S as their shortcut combination and both have the little yellow triangle beside them, indicating that the key combination is also used b another action.

And that is from scratch on a newly-installed Designer.

What do I do next? Buy a new computer?

Nah, that's a software problem and not a hardware one. - Can you remove/empty any of those two identical keyb shortcuts (so you don't have assigned any key combination to them, aka empty them)? - If yes, then I would try to first remove their key associations, save the whole keyb shortcuts & then quit ADe. Afterwards restarting ADe, look if those keyb associations are still empty and then try to (re)assign the intial ones to them.

OK. So I opened Preferences and clicked on the little cross within a circle beside "Export" and also the one beside "Duplicate", leaving both slots empty. Immediately I quit Designer, let it rest for about two minutes and then relaunched it.

Sad to say, Duplicate still has Option+Shift+Command+S beside it in the Edit menu. On the other hand, Exit in the File menu has no key-combination beside it. I checked in the two Preference panels (one for each menu) and the deletion has been effective in the Export case but not in the Duplicate case.

The mystery continues.

16 minutes ago, Furry said:

I checked in the two Preference panels (one for each menu) and the deletion has been effective in the Export case but not in the Duplicate case.

Did you also tried to reassign the one for Duplicate to Cmd-J now? - Meaning, is it possible for you to edit the Duplicate association in some changable manner at all, associating some other key combo to it?

Other than that, you can also take a look if some Apple Mojave keyb combination might conflict here (even though I doubt that, but who knows) ...

Yes, I tried. I changed it in the Preferences panel, immediately (after closing Preferences) quit Designer and relaunched.

No change. We still have Option+Shift+Command+S.

1 minute ago, Furry said:

Yes, I tried. I changed it in the Preferences panel, immediately (after closing Preferences) quit Designer and relaunched.

No change. We still have Option+Shift+Command+S.

Have you saved too, so you may have some generated shortcuts.affshortcuts file in your ADe library paths? - If yes you can share it here for an inspection!

Not yet, but I will do so. When I saved before, I got a dialog box asking me where I wanted to save the file and, for want of any other information, I saved it to my desktop. Designer did not automatically save to ~Library/application/Affinity Designer.

Should I save before my next attempt to correct the key combination or after I have done so?