You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I scanned in some black and white photos which I want to draw colors on top of. But it isn’t working on one of them.

I can’t figure out why since I think they were all scanned in the same. I will select a color but it just comes out in a shade of grey. I tried setting the color mode to sRGB or Adobe (1998) but in the top left corner of the window it continues to say “Generic Gray Gamma 2.2 Profile.” A grayscale image doesn't have to be scanned as color to later change it to color does? I don't need to rescan the photo right or do I?

9 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

How are you changing the colour mode? Document->Convert Format/ICC Profile?

No, I didn't do it that way. I was trying to change it under Affinity Photo > Preferences which doesn't seem to do anything.

I am in the dialog you mentioned now, is this where I select one of the RGBs under "color format?" This image will be going on the web so it seems like that is what I should pick?

27 minutes ago, KipV said:

No, I didn't do it that way. I was trying to change it under Affinity Photo > Preferences which doesn't seem to do anything.

I am in the dialog you mentioned now, is this where I select one of the RGBs under "color format?" This image will be going on the web so it seems like that is what I should pick?

Try sRGB for the web. But you can use a bigger colour space (eg Adobe RGB)  and change it when you export. You want RGB/16.

2 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

Try sRGB for the web. But you can use a bigger colour space (eg Adobe RGB)  and change it when you export.

Oh great, thanks! I remembered from Photoshop you would convert it from the mode menu and there wasn't a separate dialog box so I'll just have to get used to the new way.