You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening Affinity Publisher's Spellchecker

Learnt words are stored in
dictionary.propcol
which is here
%AppData%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\user
on this windows box

If you type a learnt word into a text frame and right click it you should get the option to Unlearn it

image.png.9749841481c8ad09603e134d15a6585e.png

If you can't remember the exact spelling then dictionary.propcol can be viewed with a text editor and you'll see lots of gibberish but the learnt words will be shown like this:

image.png.f2276afb50e16accd3ea23ba075a8063.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

3 hours ago, Glyphs said:

I entered a wrong word into Affinity Publisher's Spellchecker, and I need to delete it.

Did you tell Publisher to "Learn" the word, or to "Ignore" it?

They have different effects, with "Ignore" being local to a single document, and "Learn" applying more globally. And thus they would also be stored differently.

But if you have the document, still, why not just highlight the word again in it, right-click, and choose the appropriate option there? Probably easier than digging into the file system and figuring out how to edit a file that isn't meant for you to touch directly, and is (I think) the only method if you used "Ignore".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Did you tell Publisher to "Learn" the word, or to "Ignore" it?

They have different effects, with "Ignore" being local to a single document, and "Learn" applying more globally. And thus they would also be stored differently.

But if you have the document, still, why not just highlight the word again in it, right-click, and choose the appropriate option there? Probably easier than digging into the file system and figuring out how to edit a file that isn't meant for you to touch directly, and is (I think) the only method if you used "Ignore".

I actually don't remember. I just typed the word "expressly" wrong today in Publisher, and found two options in the spellchecker to correct it : "expressly" and "exprcssly". I did ignore "exprcssly", but having a clean spellchecker would be better. I have access to the macOS Spellchecker text file, and didn't find the word "exprcssly" so I supposed it came from the Affinity Spellchecker file. 

5 minutes ago, Glyphs said:

I actually don't remember. I just typed the word "expressly" wrong today in Publisher, and found two options in the spellchecker to correct it : "expressly" and "exprcssly". I did ignore "exprcssly", but having a clean spellchecker would be better. I have access to the macOS Spellchecker text file, and didn't find the word "exprcssly" so I supposed it came from the Affinity Spellchecker file. 

In that case, I would try:

1. Type exprcssly into the document.
  2. If it is not shown as incorrect, right-click on it and see what options you have. With luck, you will have an "Unignore" option.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In that case, I would try:

1. Type exprcssly into the document.
  2. If it is not shown as incorrect, right-click on it and see what options you have. With luck, you will have an "Unignore" option.

No luck. I only have the Ignore and Memorize options

8 minutes ago, Glyphs said:

No luck. I only have the Ignore and Memorize options

Then it sounds like you're fine, unless you think it was some other word.

-- Walt
PC:

47 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Then it sounds like you're fine, unless you think it was some other word.

I'm totally fine, but still, I would like to have a way to erase "exprcssly" from the Affinity Spellchecker when I misspell "expressly" if possible. "exprcssly" doesn't exist in any language

• Staff
3 hours ago, Glyphs said:

What would be the path and the name of the file on a Mac? 

This can depend on the macOS version, and where the Affinity app was installed from.

Can you please confirm your macOS version and if the app was installed from the Mac App Store, or the Affinity Store directly?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

10 minutes ago, Dan C said:

This can depend on the macOS version, and where the Affinity app was installed from.

Can you please confirm your macOS version and if the app was installed from the Mac App Store, or the Affinity Store directly?

Many thanks in advance :)

macOS version : 12.5.1
All my Affinity Apps have been downloaded from the Mac App Store

34 minutes ago, Glyphs said:

I'm totally fine, but still, I would like to have a way to erase "exprcssly" from the Affinity Spellchecker when I misspell "expressly" if possible. "exprcssly" doesn't exist in any language

So, if you you type exprcssly it is accepted, and is not shown as an error?  But it still gives you the ignore and learn options? 

What Language do you have specified for Spelling in the Character panel when therye cursor is in that word?

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me!

Please open Finder, then the 'Go' menu from the top Apple menu bar. With the menu expanded hold down the Option key and you should see Library appear as an option in this list.

Select Library, and in the Finder window that opens, navigate to the Spelling folder.

Here you should find a file called 'en_GB' (or the relevant code for your locale), if you open this file in a text editor, you will find any custom words that Publisher has 'learnt' to the dictionary.

image.png

Simply remove any unwanted words from here, and save the file.

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

31 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

So, if you you type exprcssly it is accepted, and is not shown as an error?  But it still gives you the ignore and learn options? 

What Language do you have specified for Spelling in the Character panel when therye cursor is in that word?

Yes. The language is English.

28 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that for me!

Please open Finder, then the 'Go' menu from the top Apple menu bar. With the menu expanded hold down the Option key and you should see Library appear as an option in this list.

Select Library, and in the Finder window that opens, navigate to the Spelling folder.

Here you should find a file called 'en_GB' (or the relevant code for your locale), if you open this file in a text editor, you will find any custom words that Publisher has 'learnt' to the dictionary.

image.png

Simply remove any unwanted words from here, and save the file.

I hope this helps :)

Yes, I opened it, but I don't see the word "exprcssly" in it. Seeing the answers of all of you, I believe it's only a typo from the Affinity team. If that's the case, don't make a fuss out of it, just correct it in the next version :) 

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me.

On 9/3/2022 at 2:42 PM, Glyphs said:

I believe it's only a typo from the Affinity team. If that's the case, don't make a fuss out of it, just correct it in the next version :) 

I can verify however that on both Windows and macOS when typing 'exprcssly', it appears as a spelling mistake in both versions.

If you open the 'LocalDictionary' file in the same location, is the word included here?

4 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that for me.

I can verify however that on both Windows and macOS when typing 'exprcssly', it appears as a spelling mistake in both versions.

If you open the 'LocalDictionary' file in the same location, is the word included here?

Nothing in the 'Local Dictionary' file.

As for the typo, sorry, I made a typo when I wrote the typo… The word was 'exprcssely' which makes no sense either.

The bug happened when I typed 'expressely' by mistake. When the word is spelled this way, I have two choices when I right-click : 'expressly' and 'exprcssely'

I can confirm it doesn't come from Affinity though, because I did click on these words in this text field and I have the exact same choices.

59 minutes ago, Glyphs said:

expressely

I have my Mac OS language set to Canadian English and that is it, no other secondary languages. I have never changed or added anything to my spelling dictionaries in any of the Affinity applications.

this is what I see when I cut and pasted this into a Publisher Document with the Paragraph style's Language for spelling set to English (Canadian), English (UK), or English. I then go Text > Spelling > Check Spelling and the red wiggly line appears, I then use Text > Spelling > Spelling options... and see this

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

this is what I see...

I am not seeing anything besides 2 paragraphs of text in your reply. Are you sure you attached any screenshots?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Glyphs said:

expressely

I have my Mac OS language set to Canadian English and that is it, no secondary languages. I have never changed or added anything to my spelling dictionaries in any of the Affinity applications. Or any other applications' dictionaries.

I see this when I cut and pasted this into a Publisher Document with the three Paragraph style's Language for spelling set to English (Canadian), English (UK), or English. I then go Text > Spelling > Check Spelling and the red wiggly line appears, I then use Text > Spelling > Spelling options... and see this

1623928947_ScreenShotcopy.png.a5cd7b30acd48293eb42d6d94ff3fd7a.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I see this when I cut and pasted this into a Publisher Document with the three Paragraph style's Language for spelling set to English (Canadian), English (UK), or English. I then go Text > Spelling > Check Spelling and the red wiggly line appears, I then use Text > Spelling > Spelling options... and see this

I see the same thing but what the heck is "exprcssely" -- I see the same thing if I type "expressely" in this reply, so it is not just Affinity that suggests this alternative.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

I see the same thing if I type "expressely" in this reply, so it is not just Affinity that suggests this alternative.

Wow. Same thing here. May be it is a Mac OS thing. Although either of the misspellings pasted into the Mac OS's Dictionary application is coming up with a "Did you mean..." suggestion of expressly. Both suggestions are also showing up in BBEdit. Maybe it is an old valid variant spelling, express does come from an Old French word.

• Staff
18 hours ago, Glyphs said:

The word was 'exprcssely

18 hours ago, Glyphs said:

I can confirm it doesn't come from Affinity though

16 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Both suggestions are also showing up in BBEdit

Thanks for the further information provided! I too see this as a recognised spelling in TextEdit - so I believe it is part of the macOS default dictionary and not controlled by Affinity as you've mentioned.

I've tried searching online and there's no mention of this word being included incorrectly for macOS or not, only a few results of documents from the 1800s that use this spelling variant.

It may be worth checking with the Apple team, as it's possible you've found a bug within the macOS dictionary :)