You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not sure if this is what you mean.. -but when I click on an object it get selected and shows (blue) in the layers panel.
If it's nested, I have to expand the group though. 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

Hi edge07,

No, currently there's no way to do it automatically.

@Madame,

If you are working on a document with dozens of layers/groups where you have to scroll the layers panel to select/see them all, it's easy to loose track of a selected object/layer in the canvas. 

In those cases you can right-click an object in the canvas and select Find in Layers Panel to quickly locate it, but you have to do this each time you want to locate a specific object/layer. What @edge07 was asking for is a way to permanently have this enabled, so that when you select one object in the canvas, its corresponding layer in the Layers panel will become visible (and highlighted).

Yes, I see that.
I found myself scrolling a lot one day, and discovered the "find in layers" panel. Neat.
I agree that it would be nice to have that option permanently (at least to have the possibility to turn it on and off).

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi Wilco Bakker,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is already available in Affinity Designer/Photo. You can enable it permanently so the Layersbpanel always highlights the selected object on canvas. Go to Affinity Preferences, User Interface section and check Show Selection in Layers Panel.

Although I normally use this option, at times Show Selection in Layers Panel can be annoying, like when trying to find many layers scattered throughout the Layers panel to group or move them into some parent layer & there are so many of them they will not all show at once.

So what I would like is a keyboard shortcut to toggle it on & off or some similar way to temporarily disable it. (It is annoying to have to keep opening Preferences to enable/disable it.) Is there such a thing or should I make a feature request for this?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Although I normally use this option, at times Show Selection in Layers Panel can be annoying, like when trying to find many layers scattered throughout the Layers panel to group or move them into some parent layer & there are so many of them they will not all show at once.

So what I would like is a keyboard shortcut to toggle it on & off or some similar way to temporarily disable it. (It is annoying to have to keep opening Preferences to enable/disable it.) Is there such a thing or should I make a feature request for this?

Could you make a macro for this and assign it to a hotkey?

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add something.  I'm using a Wacom pen, and when I tried to select a certain layer that is nested inside another layer, I am not having any luck.  I found that I have to use the mouse to select that layer.   So hopefully in the next update the Wacom users would have a better luck using certain features we could not do with a wacom pen earlier.  

• Staff

Hi JoonCat,
Can you post a screenshot of the object you are having trouble to select (on canvas i assume) along with the Layers panel so we can see the layer's stack please?
Are you using Windows or macOS? I'm not having trouble selecting clipped layers on canvas (you need to double tap with the Wacom Pen to select them on canvas). Masking objects (nested to the object being masked) must be selected from the Layers panel directly clicking on their thumbnail. Again this is working fine for me with a Wacom Pen. If you could provide a few more details i may be able to help you better. It's possible i'm missing something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 4:53 AM, MEB said:

Hi JoonCat,
Can you post a screenshot of the object you are having trouble to select (on canvas i assume) along with the Layers panel so we can see the layer's stack please?
Are you using Windows or macOS? I'm not having trouble selecting clipped layers on canvas (you need to double tap with the Wacom Pen to select them on canvas). Masking objects (nested to the object being masked) must be selected from the Layers panel directly clicking on their thumbnail. Again this is working fine for me with a Wacom Pen. If you could provide a few more details i may be able to help you better. It's possible i'm missing something.

Sorry for the late reply, it seems that the update 1.8.4 fixed it.  It's working fine now.  (I'm a Windows User by the way).