edge07

"Find in Layers Panel"

12 posts in this topic

Any way to turn on "Find in Layers Panel" automatically, so that every layer you click on is instantly marked in the Layers panel?

I'm not sure if this is what you mean.. -but when I click on an object it get selected and shows (blue) in the layers panel.
If it's nested, I have to expand the group though. 

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Affinity Designer 1.6.0

MacBook Pro 8 GB
High Sierra 10.13.1

Hi edge07,

No, currently there's no way to do it automatically.

@Madame,

If you are working on a document with dozens of layers/groups where you have to scroll the layers panel to select/see them all, it's easy to loose track of a selected object/layer in the canvas. 

In those cases you can right-click an object in the canvas and select Find in Layers Panel to quickly locate it, but you have to do this each time you want to locate a specific object/layer. What @edge07 was asking for is a way to permanently have this enabled, so that when you select one object in the canvas, its corresponding layer in the Layers panel will become visible (and highlighted).

Yes, I see that.
I found myself scrolling a lot one day, and discovered the "find in layers" panel. Neat.
I agree that it would be nice to have that option permanently (at least to have the possibility to turn it on and off).

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Affinity Designer 1.6.0

MacBook Pro 8 GB
High Sierra 10.13.1

I agree that it would be nice to have that option permanently (at least to have the possibility to turn it on and off).

quote :-)

Wilco likes this

take care,

stefano

quote :-)

I find myself everyday in files with a multitude of layers. I use the " find in layers" option all the time. To be able to make this standard click action would be great!

Hi Wilco Bakker,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is already available in Affinity Designer/Photo. You can enable it permanently so the Layersbpanel always highlights the selected object on canvas. Go to Affinity Preferences, User Interface section and check Show Selection in Layers Panel.

Wilco and matisso like this

Although I normally use this option, at times Show Selection in Layers Panel can be annoying, like when trying to find many layers scattered throughout the Layers panel to group or move them into some parent layer & there are so many of them they will not all show at once.

So what I would like is a keyboard shortcut to toggle it on & off or some similar way to temporarily disable it. (It is annoying to have to keep opening Preferences to enable/disable it.) Is there such a thing or should I make a feature request for this?

Aammppaa likes this

Affinity Photo 1.6.6; Affinity Designer 1.6.0; AP for iPad 1.6.2 (but no supported iPad -- yet!)

macOS Sierra 10.12.6; iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM 

Thanks MEB, that's great, makes my work a bit faster. Very nice!

Although I normally use this option, at times Show Selection in Layers Panel can be annoying, like when trying to find many layers scattered throughout the Layers panel to group or move them into some parent layer & there are so many of them they will not all show at once.

So what I would like is a keyboard shortcut to toggle it on & off or some similar way to temporarily disable it. (It is annoying to have to keep opening Preferences to enable/disable it.) Is there such a thing or should I make a feature request for this?

Could you make a macro for this and assign it to a hotkey?

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD