You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color differences between app doing color management and printer

I did a test, printing a gamut test image two ways from Publisher. For one, I had the App do the color management (and made sure that I switched off the color management in the printer) and for the other I did the color management in the printer. I am on Windows 10. I had used X-Rite i1 Studio to create an ICC profile and I used this profile in both cases. I used Perceptual rendering intent in both cases. The color Format in my document was RGB/16 and I selected Adobe RGB (1998) as the Color Profile and selected Convert. When having the printer do the color management, I had the choice of "Standard" or "Adobe RGB (1998) so I chose the Adobe RGB one. My printer is a Canon PRO-100 and I use the latest Canon XPS driver for this printer.

I expected the two prints to be identical. They were not. While both were "good" - VERY close to what I saw on my monitor (A NEC SpectraView II monitor that had been recently calibrated) and both had very smooth shading with no banding, there was a difference in saturation. The print that had been produced having the App do the color management was more saturated.

My feeling is that, since I used the same ICC profile and the same rendering intent in both cases, both printed from Publisher on the same printer and (obviously) the same paper, that the prints should have been identical.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

With thanks,

Robin

Thanks for the interest.

I was simply wanting to make sure that the source document was in Adobe RGB because that is one of only two choices I have in my printer. Hence, I checked the Convert button in Document Setup. This makes certain that any image which was not already in Adobe RGB will be converted into Adobe RGB. It was this image that was printed twice; the same image printed from the same Publisher document. So, fast answer to your question, Yes.

Since my first post on this, I created an ICC profile using my DataColor SpyderPrint and repeated the test with that profile. I got the same results. The print made with Publisher doing the color management was more saturated.

Thanks,

Robin

• Staff

Hi @RobinMcL,

On 9/2/2022 at 11:28 PM, RobinMcL said:

I had used X-Rite i1 Studio to create an ICC profile and I used this profile in both cases.

Where are you setting this profile?  Under Display settings in Windows or within Affinity? Really you want to set that under Display Settings in Windows and leave the Colour Management settings in Preferences for Affinity on their default settings.

On 9/2/2022 at 11:28 PM, RobinMcL said:

When having the printer do the color management, I had the choice of "Standard" or "Adobe RGB (1998)

I would of expected more that just 2 profiles listed here, can you attach a screenshot showing that?  Also can you confirm the exact printer model, just want to make sure it is the Pro-100 and not a Pro-1000.