You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving pixel selection blur bug

This is both a bug and underlying architectural flaw. A pixel selection should NOT change in this way when you move it around a bit, and certainly not on a solid background.

This example clearly shows how this pixel selection goes from sharp as original, to blurry as seen through cheese:

blur.gif.64e6459d5cd99b407f9ac6c4eecd6944.gif

Same problem if copy + pasted.

FIVE minutes into trying to use Affinity Photo and I am forced to stop. And we're talking about a mundane cut-and-paste pixels task.

10 Reasons Why Strategic Plans Fail
Having a plan simply for plans sake - Not understanding the environment or focusing on results - Partial commitment - Not having the right people involved - Writing the plan and putting it on the shelf - Unwillingness or inability to change - Having the wrong people in leadership positions - No accountability or follow through - Unrealistic goals or lack of focus and resources.

Get it?

Works flawlessly and better (single tool workflow, not two) and faster in Windows Paint!

😀

Having a plan simply for plans sake - Not understanding the environment or focusing on results - Partial commitment - Not having the right people involved - Writing the plan and putting it on the shelf - Unwillingness or inability to change - Having the wrong people in leadership positions - No accountability or follow through - Unrealistic goals or lack of focus and resources.

Get it?

One second on google and:

Get it?

I am guessing that the words are about, oh, 10 to 15 pixels in height. Are you expecting them to be not like this when you view at extremely high magnification? 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Ah, "force pixel alignment" is required... An obscure theoretical concept in a program (Photo) that for most will be a pixel editor.

PLUS you should also know that once you have pasted a screen shot (pixels) from clipboard, it is an "image" and must be rasterized before you can make a selection and move it with the move tool! But the Serif thinks their typical clientele guesses this easily?

And then, what are you waiting for in terms of further challenges in the program...

Get it?

If you activate snapping and force pixel alignment, you will get what you expect from paint.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am guessing that the words are about, oh, 10 to 15 pixels in height. Are you expecting them to be not like this when you view at extremely high magnification? 

It has NOTHING to do with zoom and size.

Get it?

4 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

If you activate snapping and force pixel alignment, you will get what you expect from paint.

Thank you, finally an educated answer!

I'm surprised Affinity isn't made for Linux, now that they've taken so many engineering quirks and complexities from that system's early versions. It will fit right in, and will be nostalgia for old Linux users. I look forward to you operating with pixel fractions and square roots of pixels in Photo version 2. They would too.

My guess is that in Nottingham there isn't even anyone who can help Serif with usability as a charity?

Get it?

Why are you still using Affinity apps if you're not happy with them... 73 posts (74 soon) and around 70 are for complaining about Serif and their apps.... there are alternatives out there. 

And... 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

Why are you still using Affinity apps if you're not happy with them... 73 posts (74 soon) and around 70 are for complaining about Serif and their apps.... there are alternatives out there. 

And... 

The classic answer. Yawn. Rather than thinking. Back to the school yard.

Well, lets try to make you think. Why DO you think? And not just me but also include the rest of the users in here who “complain” and request.

Take your time. Seeing things from the perspective of others requires more than throwing letters into a forum like that answer you gave me.

Get it?

74 ... I was right ! 🤪

And you're quite good at "throwing letters into a forum".... 

No need to answer me anymore as you're now on my "ignore" list. All the best !

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

@Winsome

Please familiarise yourself with the Affinity Forums Guidelines, specifically;

Be nice. Do not insult, harass, or "SHOUT" at anyone. Any personal criticism or attacks will immediately result in your account being suspended or removed.

(...)

You also agree to be respectful of Affinity Forum and its administrators and other users.

Please do not continue to post in the same tone as above, as it isn't welcome here on the Forums.

As you've found, Affinity offers users creative control as to whether their layers are pixel aligned or not. When layers are not pixel aligned, then anti-aliasing will be applied.

Again, Affinity offers users control of this, in the Blend Ranges dialog -

image.png

Meaning if you wish, you can leave force pixel alignment deactivated and disable anti-aliasing for the layer, so it can be located on 'part-pixel' values, without the 'blurriness' described in your first post.

We believe the greater range of control allows for more creative options in Affinity, compared to other creative applications, including Paint.

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

We believe the greater range of control allows for more creative options in Affinity, compared to other creative applications, including Paint.

This.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

18 hours ago, Winsome said:

It has NOTHING to do with zoom and size.

For me, it has, along with the screen resolution / pixel density. With a 100% zoom view, these antialiasing pixels are simply not visible. That's exactly what antialiasing was designed for.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only