You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

@GarryP

I think what the OP (and now I) are trying to do is get the vertical lines to snap to the curved shape above it. I've tried all the snapping settings and it refuses to snap to the shape of the curve, like in the OP's video.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I think I've got it figured out.

• Both the wavy line above and the verticals must be selected
  • Then using the Alt modifier, select just the very top nodes of the vertical lines
  • With Transform & the Snap-Align Nodes of selected curves, activated, move the upper nodes of the vertical lines.
Edited by Ron P.
Add Screen Capture

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

While that will do the job, I don’t think that’s what they are doing in the example video as they are adjusting many things at the same time.
Also, that will work without Align to nodes of selected curves switched ON.
Also, not all of your vertical lines are getting ‘aligned’ at the same time as in the video.

I think we need more information, and maybe the original document.

8 hours ago, GarryP said:

While that will do the job, I don’t think that’s what they are doing in the example video as they are adjusting many things at the same time.
Also, that will work without Align to nodes of selected curves switched ON.
Also, not all of your vertical lines are getting ‘aligned’ at the same time as in the video.

I think we need more information, and maybe the original document.

I've attempted a recreation, the only way I've seem to do it is align each node by hand to the selected stroke. After selecting all the required nodes, it is then able to be adjusted. 

7 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

I´m confused by the appearance of the selected nodes and not able to recreate the behaviour from the first video:

image.png.597adc7bb6b8ad0b0a1212e52518c20d.png

It's the Node Tool. If I click the down arrow by it, I can select the Point Transform Tool, or the Node Tool. It's selected on the Node Tool in your screencap.

@PixelPest: That tool just seems to be a second copy of the Node Tool that the user has added to the Tools panel. Note that both of the Node Tool icons show as selected.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@PixelPest There are two because I did a mistake when I first got the application, & never changed it 😅
I'm not sure what you mean with you last sentence, but if you want to customize your (left) Tools: In the Designer Persona, go to View>Customize Tools. Then, you can drag & drop icons where you'd like them to be. You can do that same for the (upper) Toolbar if you go to View>Customize Toolbar instead

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

It's the option to choose either a single tool or tool set + triangle for pop-up menu. Compare below the triangle shape tool, it also can show a second rectangle or ellipse instead.

FWIW, it is also possible to drag more than one copy of a single tool icon into the Tool panel, although there isn't much reason to do so, unless maybe you just like grouping some of the same tools in different groupings.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The OP video shows only the second part, and misses the first part. It is a trick.

1. Missing part in video: align all top nodes individually to the curve. Then lower all nodes (selected combined) again from curve shape to baseline (node with lowest y position) (this part is missing. The curve may need a dedicated node for every straight line)
  2. Visible part in video: move nodes from horizontal baseline again to the curve

Below a video showing both parts. Before 0:38 is making the alignment, and then moving all nodes to a horizontal baseline.

I don’t get the snapping right, please bear with my low skills. It should only envision the method.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.