You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trying to remove image from background - Need help

I'm trying to remove the back background. I select sampled colour (black), then cut to remove, but it also takes away some of the actual image. Sometimes I use the selection tool and refine the edges and get the same effect. Or if I do it in reverse and try to cut the object and paste it into a new project, there's a slightly transparent grey in the background or else there's feathered colours outside of where the dotted lines were.

This happens every time I try to remove backgrounds from images, not just this image. 

What am I doing wrong? Do I have a setting wrong somewhere?

I'm working in Photo Persona.

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 5.11.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 5.12.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 5.13.16 PM.png

48 minutes ago, prophet said:

With the only elements being simple shape and text, this one is just begging to be redrawn as a vector. That will offer much greater flexibility use cases.

I'm trying to do this with photos as well though and getting the same results. Vector wouldn't work for that.

13 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

While I agree with @prophet...

You could: (without selecting anything)
1) Invert the image
2) Erase White Paper* (under filters > colors)
3) Invert back

* this is only a viable "solution" because, when inverted, the color section has an L value under 50 (just barely) so it's unaffected by EWP.

So you're saying Affinity Photo offers no possible way to remove backgrounds from images?

31 minutes ago, TheOtherNiki said:

So you're saying Affinity Photo offers no possible way to remove backgrounds from images?

No. There are many ways. Possible issue are:

1.  using source images in JPG format and lots of compression artifacts, so the background is not simply black but many shades of black.
  2. Not using freely available files with transparent background 
    https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/59fb3a7dace864c2e5a41f72/1516832253789-RS8GLCU0MUOGZ5YG6KOO/MP_master_pinkblk.png?format=1000w&content-type=image%2Fpng
  3. Not using all available methods, e.g. blend ranges (cog wheel symbol)

If you can upload the original source image in best available quality (e.g. PNG with lossless compression), we may find a better way. It depends on characteristics of source image which method works best

manchester pride.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

21 minutes ago, TheOtherNiki said:

manch_callout_part.jpg.88bbf45b1e3128085e49898c4348f5a3.jpg

The above shown in APh are plain vectors here, you have to add your text in the font type you've initially used therefor (ideally as vectors too) and then export the whole to the size and file format you need!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

29 minutes ago, TheOtherNiki said:

What I'm saying is that for that particular example the three click solution in my post works pretty great. And takes about 4 seconds. Did you try it?
(other images, especially those actually involving imagery, will most certainly require different angles of attack)

But in general there is no "Remove Background" button in Affinity.

12 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

manch_callout_part.jpg.88bbf45b1e3128085e49898c4348f5a3.jpg

The above shown in APh are plain vectors here, you have to add your text in the font type you've initially used therefor (ideally as vectors too) and then export the whole to the size and file format you need!

The problem is this is not my graphic. I've copied it from Google images as something I want to use for a project I'm working on. I don't have the original font or the vector. So I'm left with just trying to remove the background colour. I'm not familiar with creating vectors.

If vector is not an option for this one (and I know you mentioned working on other photos) masking is always a nice option.

This is a black pixel layer with the isolated text used as a mask + a pink pixel layer with the shape isolated as a mask. The level adjustments is set to Alpha and gets the grey (formerly pink) to a pure white mask.

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 2.14.50 PM.png

Just use Arial Black or the like as font and add the text as artistictext, it will be vectors then.

manchester_callout2.png.69766925be17ef09914c22500add90f0.png

BTW, if it's not your graphic and you copied it over from Google images, then you probably have to check if it is allowed to be freely reused or not!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 hours ago, TheOtherNiki said:

I use the selection tool

Flood Select Tool? With lower tolerance? 

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_floodSelect.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

It would probably be easier just to ask Manchester Pride for a different / better quality version of their logo!.
I've needed to use a number of logos over the years, and it's usually easier just to ask organisations for them, if what you need is not already available on line.  – Some organisations are not that happy if you start changing their logos yourself!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 9/1/2022 at 5:14 PM, TheOtherNiki said:

there's a slightly transparent grey in the background or else there's feathered colours outside of where the dotted lines were.

Grab a brush and paint those areas.
But before doing that you have to protect the transparency.

ProtectAlpha.png.118149592e84e1857168b8c0249a3d1a.png