You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

renumbering project on Affinity publisher

Hi - my first day on Affinity publisher, and I've managed to mess up my page numbers.

Can anybody tell me how to delete the numbers and reinstate them?

My numbers are okay up to 5, then go back to 1, some are missing...just a mess.

Thanks,

Steve

ps I also get a highlight behind the numbers, which I cannot remove.

• Staff

Hi @Steve Haisman,

Is it possible that you have your document setup with sections which is set to the page number when beginning the next section? You can check this within the Section Manager on the pages panel.

image.png

28 minutes ago, Steve Haisman said:

This might be a fill applied to the text frame which contains your page numbering on the master page. If you go to View > Studio > Text Frame and highlight the page number frame on your master does it have a fill applied?

39 minutes ago, Steve Haisman said:

You might have Text > Highlight Fields switched on

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Could you upload a copy of your file so we can investigate what might be causing these two issues further? I've provided a private drop box link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/E01YETSh1fxeFEhqO6nM

Yes, done that. Thank you so much - I must say, I'm loving Affinity Publisher, and I'm sure it will all click into place shortly. Cheers!

• Staff

Thanks for sending over the file,

The Highlight on your page numbers is caused by the text having a background colour applied to it, to turn this off highlight your Page number on Master A and turn the Background colour off by setting it to no fill on the Character panel Highlighted below.

image.png

• Staff

Additionally, I can see that pages 1-9 all have the master page detached which has resulted in any changes applied from the master page having no effect on the content, the quickest way to correct this and get the page numbering back in numerical ordering is to re-apply the master to all pages.

This can be done by following the below:

1. Right Click Master A on the pages panel
  2. Select 'Apply Master to pages...'
  3. Set it to 'All Pages' and tick 'Replace Existing' and set Content to 'Clear' as shown below

image.png

This should clear all your existing page numbers which are out of order with the wrong formatting and replace them with the correct master page number in the right order.

13 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Additionally, I can see that pages 1-9 all have the master page detached which has resulted in any changes applied from the master page having no effect on the content, the quickest way to correct this and get the page numbering back in numerical ordering is to re-apply the master to all pages.

This can be done by following the below:

1. Right Click Master A on the pages panel
  2. Select 'Apply Master to pages...'
  3. Set it to 'All Pages' and tick 'Replace Existing' and set Content to 'Clear' as shown below

image.png

This should clear all your existing page numbers which are out of order with the wrong formatting and replace them with the correct master page number in the right order.

Yes, brilliant, solved! Thank you so much.