You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Ammar,

Just select your text object and choose 'Layer'->'Convert to curves' and it will create a group containing curves for each of the characters. Choose 'Layer'->'Ungroup' to remove the group container. Hope that helps :)

Thanks,

Matt

EDIT - Ahh, if you meant 'how to fit text to curves' then see Dave's answer above, sorry ;)

• 3 months later...

I'm really frustrated with the lack of this feature. It seems like something pretty basic that should be included in a vector program. I just switched from pc to mac; my old pc had Adobe Creative Suite, but I wasn't too keen on repurchasing it again for mac, so I bought Affinity as an alternative. I mostly just do do gig poster designs, and event promo materials but it's pretty useless to me if I can't shape text.

I was under the impression that this program rivaled Illustrator, but from the lack of features I feel that I'm using a beta program that I have to pay for.

Are there any free/affordable vector creation programs that I can use in the mean time that can shape text on a path and make rounded corners on shapes?

• Staff

Hello preppyhippy,

Welcome to Affinity Forums  :) 

I can understand your frustration with the lack of some basic features, but I also think it's not fair to judge the program and call it a "beta" from just what's missing. Affinity Designer is available as a trial, both in its commercial version (MAS) as well as in its beta counterpart, so everyone can try it, see what's already included and if it fulfills their needs or not. 

It is intended to be an alternative to Adobe Illustrator, but it was also launched just half an year ago. It can't be compared to more than two decades of development Illustrator has over its shoulders yet. We are still building its foundations, and some features weren't ready for its first release. This doesn't mean we don't recognize their importance. If you check our roadmap, you can see that both text on a path and a corner tool are already there to be implemented as soon as time permits. Both will also be provided as free updates along a host of other features and improvements you can see there.

With that said I hope you can still find value in your purchase :(. Beyond what's missing, there's also many great features already available that you can take advantage of if you give it a try. If you find something else missing that you think should be included, just add it to the Feature Requests section on the forum. All suggestions are checked and taken in consideration for future improvements.

I see your point, however, I still think this is a valid criticism. I don't know if this thread is the best place to explain my full experience of using Affinity - maybe a review would be more appropriate - but I've found the program to be limited in its features and a bit buggy.

I'm not a software developer or even a professional designer. I'm an artist, who happens to need graphic design software for some of my freelance work, so maybe it is more developed than what is normally considered a beta status. But for me, I feel if have to constantly request features and contribute frequently to the development of a program I would consider that program to be in beta. I appreciate what Affinity has accomplished so far, and I appreciate Serif's intention to create affordable software to rival Adobe Illustrator, but I don't think it's there yet and I don't think it can make that claim if it's still an aspiration rather than a reality.

It doesn't mean I will give up entirely on Affinity, but it means that for the time being I have to find alternatives to finishing my projects because Affinity doesn't currently offer the features I need. I also feel like these features are fairly fundamental tools needed for a vector app. 

• Staff

Hi preppyhippy,

I genuinely am really sorry that you're not having a great time with the program so far... It's obviously disappointing to hear your frustrations, particularly about tools which are nearly finished and are due to be added to a beta version within the very near future, but I just don't share your sentiments about the 'beta' status of our Mac App Store released product - it is fulfilling the needs of many professionals already in their day jobs: They find it to be a solid, dependable and reliable tool that they actually enjoy using. Many of these professionals still have Illustrator and choose to use Designer in preference. This isn't some made up claim or an aspiration - it is their experience and their real world choice. Check out some of Jonathan Ball's work or even look at this car by Philip Meinertz if you want proof that the application is more than capable of producing truly stunning results. Philip even has text on a path on his car's tyres - done by hand because he hasn't got the tool yet, but it's possible if you have the inclination... I'm not saying that it's ideal, but it's possible. We had to choose an order in which to implement things, and the number of real professionals choosing to use the product is enough to make me think we got the order just about right (not perfect) that it lets you achieve what you want - but with a few sore points along the way until we get to the toolset we are working towards.

I'm sorry it's not offering you everything you expected at this point - but don't give up - it's just that the feature set you need isn't quite there yet, but it doesn't mean that everyone else is finding the same. The tools that you view as fundamental are actually being worked around by quite a few people, but I know that still doesn't detract from the fact that you view them as fundamental and that they are missing is a blocker for you - we will make these tools happen as soon as possible and I can only offer my apologies in the meantime. I think it's not unreasonable to suggest that right now you can do things in Designer that you just cannot achieve in other programs on the App Store at present... and the same in reverse is probably true of those other apps with respect to Designer... I would not try to call any of those other applications a 'beta' version simply because they have faults or omissions that take me to their forums...

I don't expect to magically change your mood, and my comments above aren't intended to make you feel that your points aren't valid - they are your thoughts and feelings so they are completely valid and very important - I simply wanted to try to offer you some insight, some inspiration and some balance. Hope you'll revisit Designer in a bit and those tools will be available to you and you'll find things much more enjoyable :)

Matt

• 6 months later...

Hello everybody,

I'd rather suggest the moderators to close this post and to put a reference to a more updated post related to the "text on path" topic because this post nowadays is misleading.

Now "text on path" has been implemented on Affinity Designer.

Searching "text on path" on Google pops up this stream of posts in this forum and this can be confusing.

JackSante