You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preflight Warnings & Errors

Hi

I am trying to get my head round how to permanently set preflight defaults to my requirements for all documents, it seems after all these years I have not understood how it works. I have altered the settings in the edit profile which then creates a custom set, I have then renamed that Default and saved it which deletes the existing default. This is mainly to spot spellings errors and flag them as error not warning, Disable  hyperlinks in every document etc.

But if I create a new document it reverts back to the original Default, i.e. the changes are not there. I presume I can create templates which will save my profile to the new document setting from template, but there is nowhere to set the preflight preferences in my presets, unless I am wrong.

I have created literally hundreds of documents since Publisher was launched and quite often just update these, but if I make a spelling mistake it will not be noticed unless I have the preflight panel open as I export as it does not automatically launch for warnings!

I would be pleased to know if my understanding is correct, or is there a way to make a permanent change to which preflight is used?

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

• Staff

Hi @AlanPickup,

Looks like this topic has come up previously on the below thread in Feedback for Publisher, it doesn't look like it's possible to overwrite the 'Default' preset setting in Preflight as making edits will automatically create a new <Custom> profile. A potential workaround could be to create your own Preflight preset with your specified settings completely separate from 'Default' and then create Document Template(s) with your new preflight preset already applied to them for new documents.

I think the problem Old Bruce makes in the previous post about you can no longer use presets as there is no option to chose the preflight when setting up a preset, you need to create templates all the time for every option.

Whilst I appreciate what the previous person said about copywriters are responsible for spelling, however there ae many of us who are the designer and copy writer and it makes sense to type direct in to the apub document as you may want to condense the wording to fit the space.

I will have to work through all my previous files and make sure they have my preflight setting so that if I just need to update a previous copy say to add to a list or update prices it will have the default preflight attached to it, or just get the working routine of changing the preflight to my preset each time I open a document.

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

I have a couple of Presets made for Publisher, one is set to ignore spelling mistakes simply because I need it for some projects that have a lot of odd names and archaic spelling. The Presets stay available for all documents, new and old. I just have to choose one from the list. It is a the work of less than a moment to change from the default.

Finally, I have to question why you would want to edit the Default. Eventually you will have a project or projects and you will need to check the spelling or check for dead links.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

That is how the conversation started as I had a document using the default preset with a spelling mistake that did not give me a preflight warning when I went to export, the default setting for spelling is warning which does not trigger an alert, only errors trigger an alert.  Warnings only in preflight go straight to export. I want spelling mistakes to alert me to check pre-flight before I export

Alan Pickup

2 hours ago, AlanPickup said:

I want spelling mistakes to alert me to check pre-flight before I export

Ah, I misunderstood. Severely, I thought you wanted the spelling off. I see what you mean. I never noticed this before, mostly because I spel purfitcly. The only advice I can give you is to manually check the Preflight panel prior to exporting. I have it set in my Left Studio with the Pages panel so it is just a click away (I have a large monitor here). 

Or.... make a Preset and select it thus setting that to be chosen, now save the file. Here on my Mac the chosen preset is saved with the file.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

58 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The only advice I can give you is to manually check the Preflight panel prior to exporting.

I would just leave it set as Live. Then you can just look down at the Status Bar and see the green/yellow/red icon to tell you the status at any moment.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 hours ago, AlanPickup said:

I want spelling mistakes to alert me to check pre-flight before I export

Preflight Comments always generate an alert on export or printing

On 8/31/2022 at 10:04 AM, AlanPickup said:

but if I make a spelling mistake it will not be noticed unless I have the preflight panel open

So, if you are prone to exporting files without checking the prefight panel first, then setting up a preflight comment in your document(s) will always generate an error message and should help stop you accidentally exporting or printing your document before checking the preflight panel for spelling errors.

Suggest you make the prefight comment something meaningful like.... "Check for spelling errors"

Preflight comments can also be added to templates for those that use templates

Personally, I would just set up and use a preset but you may want to create a feature request to have the current way it works changed

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks everyone, glad I am not the only one Old Bruce who did not realise and have probably exported a few docs with spelling mistakes, because no preflight warning came up of file\export.

Unless it is different on Mac you cannot set a preset with anything other than default preflight settings, hence mentioning that I would have to make templates and use them.

The nature of my work is that it is very rare to complete a project in one go, as I am wating for articles coming in for newsletters and other event items. I have two 27" monitors so that I can have the copy open in one and work on apub without switching back and forth, the page panel tends to be my default in the menu as I am moving about in different pages all the time, re-ordering them etc.

I will do a feature request to be able to change the default preflight or include a custom preflight in presets, but I am likely now to just use templates as it is very rare I do anything other than the main A paper sizes.

Walt the chances of the preflight status catching my eye are very remote, takes me all my time to see some of the tools and settings:-) 

image.png.df5e5727130db1d1d492dd70b1b86e55.png

Thanks all for your in put

Alan Pickup

5 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

Walt the chances of the preflight status catching my eye are very remote ...

Same here. This is not an Affinity applications only situation. I have many applications which will give me useful and necessary information about my work. But I somehow miss the important stuff. Constantly.