You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo File Corrupted

I saved an Affinity Photo file I was working on last night, and upon trying to open it today, I was told it was corrupted. The file is saved to a USB, and I don't have any backups. I saw it mentioned earlier that Affinity Designer files saved to external hard drives can corrupt. I generally save directly to a USB, however I've never had a file corrupt before.

Is there anything I can do to recover the file? I've attached the file to this post.

Thank you!

Rieka and Mishka busts.afphoto

Recovered file is attached

1. Don't save to USB drives, use local (internal) drives only

2. Do backups

3. Most corrupt files are NOT recoverable, see 1 & 2 above

Rieka and Mishka busts-recovered.afphoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 weeks later...

@JNC

Recovered file is attached

I deleted this group, in the Layers panel

Parking (Group) 

As it was corrupted

It was hidden in the document and contained this file...

1_Bestaande parkeerplaatsen (Pixel)

No idea if anything else is wrong with the document

Note: The 2nd corrupt file you tried to upload has not uploaded

Beeldkwaliteit_v1-recovered.afphoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 minutes ago, JNC said:

Unfortunately i still can't open the file (Check .png screenshot)

Strange as I can download the file I uploaded to the forum and it opens OK

I see you may be using networked/dropbox storage, try downloading again, from the forum, directly to your C drive and try opening it from there. Non-local drives are known to corrupt Affinity documents

I'll take a look at the 2nd file shortly

4 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I'll take a look at the 2nd file shortly

The 2nd file opens fine for me and I can save it to a new filename

What was wrong with this file?

Try copying the file you have to your C drive and see if it opens there

Can't open any of them in any of the computers here at the office.

Would it be appropriate to ask you to export them to other extension (psd, for example) to see if i can at least export layer by layer to start a new aphoto file?

Did you try opening them from your C drive?

File 1 converts OK and PSD is attached (It's a large document so takes a little while to open)

File 2 will not convert (closes APhoto) someone from the support team will need to have a look at that for you

Beeldkwaliteit_v1-recovered.psd

Affinity support staff may be able to assist further.

I'm running out of time today and tomorrow me and the Dog have a date with some fish

6 hours ago, Sally_Jane said:

Another file has corrupted, I made a mistake when saving it.

Just curious, but was the mistake that you were saving it to an external USB drive or something else?

Also, your uploaded file also opens fine for me, so maybe there is something else on your system erroneously causing it to say the file is corrupted, although I have no idea what that might be.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 7 months later...