You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Occasional black screen AMD Radeon RX5700 22.8.1 Drivers

@Mikołaj Wójcicki

There is a new Adrenaline version available. You should try first.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

I'm just going to reply to this thread instead of making a new one, since this already exists. I'm running 22.8.1 as well with no option to update since I've selected Recommended Only for the most long term stable experience.

I've been experiencing these black screen issues on my RX 6700 XT since February 2022 and they've persisted the entire time, right up until this very moment. My last black screen crash with Affinity Designer was not long ago at 8:05 PM.

I've tried just about everything thinking that it was a driver issue, or a Windows issue. Nothing has fixed it.

It's exclusive to Affinity Designer.

I haven't used Publisher, so I can't say whether or not it happens with Publisher and I exclusively use Photo for adding artificial depth of field to photos and batch jobs. I don't pixel peep and move assets around in Photos the way I do in Designer. It might be affecting those apps as well and I just haven't experienced it.

I've uploaded my latest crash report from %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports.

Affinity Designer 1.10.5.1342
AMD Radeon 22.8.1
Windows 10 21H2 19044.1949
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Hopefully this is resolved between AMD and Serif soon. Overall I'm actually enjoying my experience with AMD, but since Affinity is my main raster/vector tool, if push comes to shove, I will switch back over Nvidia and get a 30 series card to be able to use Designer without these black screen crashes a dozen times a day.

After using Designer I simply can't stand the thought of using Photoshop and Illustrator.

The only reason that Illustrator is still on my system is so that I can export an SVG file in Designer, open it in Illustrator and save it as an AI file for use in After Effects. Beyond that I haven't had a use for Photoshop or Illustrator.

Designer killed them both with no remorse 🤣

d6204778-4066-4dae-bdab-823b2a316dbf.dmp

Came here to report exactly the same bug. Affinity Designer completely crashing the AMD driver at least two or three times a day requiring a full driver restart to recover. There's seemingly no pattern to it; Designer could be minimised and running in the background, having not been touched for an hour, and suddenly crash the system. Other times, it'll be as I'm actively working in it. The only constant is that Designer is open.

I'm on a Radeon RX 6800. Have tried every AMD Adrenalin version going back 6 months and currently running 22.8.2.

Affinity Designer is the only app that crashes. I can't enable OpenCL as it tells me my system is unsupported (says I need at least Windows 10 and I'm running Windows 11 - screenshot below). Have tried the WARP and Radeon 6800 renderers with no change in crashes.

WGcAMP.jpg

Edited by Ben Weston

Hi all!

Please check with the tool sfc if there is component damage.

To do this, press Windows key + R. Type cmd and confirm with Shift + CTRL + Enter.
In the command prompt window, write sfc /scannow and press Enter

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

• Staff
44 minutes ago, Ben Weston said:

Have tried every AMD Adrenalin version going back 6 months and currently running 22.8.2.

Hi @Ben Weston
Just to confirm, have you rolled back to a version before 22.8.1 and had the same issue? 

31 minutes ago, Komatös said:

Hi all!

To do this, press Windows key + R. Type cmd and confirm with Shift + CTRL + Enter.

No component damage. I've actually migrated this card to a new system in the time it's been happening (the card is the only thing I kept) and it's still doing it.

30 minutes ago, EmT said:

Hi @Ben Weston
Just to confirm, have you rolled back to a version before 22.8.1 and had the same issue? 

Yes, I think the earliest I tried was 22.2.1 but I'm happy to try a specific version if you need me to.

On 9/2/2022 at 4:17 PM, Komatös said:

Hi all!

In this case just like Ben I have no component damage

On 9/2/2022 at 4:18 PM, EmT said:

Hi @Ben Weston

And for me the last version of Adrenaline which didn't have this particular problem was 22.5.1

EDIT:
22.8.1 Had the same issue. 22.8.2 just has them less frequent

22 minutes ago, Leigh said:

We're still investigating but can you send me a copy of your log.txt file from: %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\

My Log.txt is pretty sparse considering how many crashes I've had:

Installed
Wintab: Failed to load Wintab32.dll
Wintab: Failed to create tablet context
Attempting to create Direct3D device with adapter AMD Radeon RX 6800
Setting screen DPI to 93.3582196697775 (scale = 1.75)
Exit

12 hours ago, Leigh said:

We're still investigating but can you send me a copy of your log.txt file from: %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\

Sure can do

[DXCore] Found 2 adapters
AMD Radeon RX 5700
	Version: 31.0.12019.9007
	IsHardware: Yes
	Supports D3D12 Feature Level 12.0: Yes
	HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_731F&SUBSYS_38110000&REV_C4
	LUID: 0xC101
Microsoft Basic Render Driver
	Version: 10.0.19041.546
	IsHardware: No
	HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1414&DEV_008C&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00
	LUID: 0xD733
[DXGI] Enumerating adapters
AMD Radeon RX 5700
	HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_731F&SUBSYS_381114620000&REV_C4
[OpenCL] Found 1 platforms:
Name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
	Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
	Version: OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3444.0)
[OpenCL] Found 1 devices for platform AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing:
AMD Radeon RX 5700
	Version: OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (3444.0)
	Integrated: false
	Detachable: false
(Skipping unsupported device)
AMD Radeon RX 5700
	Installed
TabletContext::Create: original queue size is 0
Wintab: Failed to set queue size
Exit

On the side note these black screens aren't like standard crashes I can basically press Win+Ctrl+Shift+B to reload GPU drivers and the screen becomes functional again

• Staff
On 9/9/2022 at 10:44 PM, Mikołaj Wójcicki said:

Sure can do

[DXCore] Found 2 adapters
AMD Radeon RX 5700
	Version: 31.0.12019.9007
	IsHardware: Yes
	HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_731F&SUBSYS_38110000&REV_C4
	Version: 10.0.19041.546
	IsHardware: No
[DXGI] Enumerating adapters
AMD Radeon RX 5700
	HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_731F&SUBSYS_381114620000&REV_C4
[OpenCL] Found 1 platforms:
Name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
	Version: OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3444.0)
AMD Radeon RX 5700
AMD Radeon RX 5700
	Installed
TabletContext::Create: original queue size is 0
Wintab: Failed to set queue size
Exit

On the side note these black screens aren't like standard crashes I can basically press Win+Ctrl+Shift+B to reload GPU drivers and the screen becomes functional again

Thanks for this information @Mikołaj Wójcicki. Have you always had this issue or did it only start happening recently?

@Ben Weston Are you able to send me any crash reports? https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98904-where-to-find-crash-reports/

20 minutes ago, Leigh said:

Thanks for this information @Mikołaj Wójcicki. Have you always had this issue or did it only start happening recently?

@Ben Weston Are you able to send me any crash reports? https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98904-where-to-find-crash-reports/

Sure. Have attached the latest one.

b38e1437-56d3-4c75-ba94-75e4acdfb668.dmp

2 hours ago, Leigh said:

It started to happen when I updated my drivers to 22.8.1

• Staff
On 9/13/2022 at 11:35 AM, Ben Weston said:

@Ben WestonThanks for this. Unfortunately, it's not giving much information apart from stating it's crashing in DirectX. Can you have a look in Event Viewer and see if you have anything listed in there for the app when it fails to launch: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/101455-faq-how-to-save-a-copy-of-application-logs-from-event-viewer/

1 hour ago, Leigh said:

@Ben WestonThanks for this. Unfortunately, it's not giving much information apart from stating it's crashing in DirectX. Can you have a look in Event Viewer and see if you have anything listed in there for the app when it fails to launch: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/101455-faq-how-to-save-a-copy-of-application-logs-from-event-viewer/

I'm afraid I've now reverted to Windows 10 so can't provide this. However, on the same drivers now on Windows 10, I'm no longer getting any crashes with Designer! It still tells me my system isn't "modern" enough to enable OpenCL but I've not had a single crash since reverting to 10.

Hi @Leigh

I have no problems with the Affinity programmes, as I care for and nurture my system like a rare plant. 😂

And no, you don't bother me.
But while I'm here. I use Adrenalin 22.8.2 on Windows 11 (Build 22622.586) 

1 hour ago, Ben Weston said:

I'm afraid I've now reverted to Windows 10 so can't provide this. However, on the same drivers now on Windows 10, I'm no longer getting any crashes with Designer! It still tells me my system isn't "modern" enough to enable OpenCL but I've not had a single crash since reverting to 10.

Adding to this. Just to avoid any confusion. I'm running Windows 10 and I am still getting occasional black screens.