You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File gets huge. Embed/link not working

Ouch. My file is 8.1 MB when linked, but bloats to 10.32 GB very quickly. Moving 15 to 20 photos between pages. Pretty simple stuff.

in resource manager, selecting photos and embedding and then linking works to drop file from 10.21 GB to 8.1 MB. But then it has 50-50 chance of corrupting.

I've tried lots of variations but my project is currently unworkable. I saw elsewhere in the forums that this has been going on a long time. One suggestion was to use an older version of publisher. I need to get this job done. I can't find an older version of publisher, nor do I know what other things I might loose even if I could work in older version.

Hard to believe that this is happening still. Am I missing something here?

One thing i've found is moving pictures and text together can be problematic. I've been do a few commands, embed/link/save, duplicate if file ok to get some stuff done. Painful. 

Peter

2 Indesign file idml translated to Publisher, then merged.

Monterey, 12.5.1, Publisher 1.10.5, MacBook Pro 14", 2021, 16 GB, Apple M1 Pro

• Staff

Hi @yukonPete

There is a known issue specific to M1 Macs which is logged with the developers for resolution regarding file bloating.

There is not yet a fix available. Hopefully there will be one soon, it is still being worked on.  

My working process with my 6.1 mb file that can go to+10GB:

routinely select all the links in resource manager and embed them and then make them links, then close and save. How often? Every time I've done many changes.  One per half hour of so. Seems to reliably grow to 1-300 mb all of a sudden. Next save is a GB+. I never want to go into the GB territory, so reset links and save often!

This is a simple 16 page, ~200 images. 

Every once in a while, save as a new version. Earlier, I lost a couple of versions when it became inoperable.

Peter