David

Opening existing files

I'm having an odd issue opening existing artwork files. When I start up Designer and then attempt to open a

project Affinity sits doing nothing - unless I open a blank document then repeat, it then works/opens correctly. 

I having this issue on both my Macbook Pro and office iMac, I have tried several different files. I do save my artwork locally but its is in a Dropbox folder if that has any effect on things?

I have a similar problem.

Version 1.4 (app store) - Mac Book - OS X El Capitan

App crashes if doing following sequence: open app - File - Open... - Media/Photos - select a photo - open

If a file is already opened via Finder, it becomes possible to open a file via File-Open...

Thanks for any advice.

Hi David. 

As you are using the App store version I am guessing you are trying to open files through the initial dialog that appears on it's own when starting the app? This dialog is not actively called by us and is kinda a faux dialog hence why files are not opening

This dialog has already been addressed and removed in the latest beta

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I have a similar problem.

Version 1.4 (app store) - Mac Book - OS X El Capitan

App crashes if doing following sequence: open app - File - Open... - Media/Photos - select a photo - open

If a file is already opened via Finder, it becomes possible to open a file via File-Open...

Thanks for any advice.

Following your advise for David, I downloaded 141, and the problem seems solved.

I cannot open files in Affinity Designer. I have tried opening them directly - double clicking any affinity or .ai document from my documents folder and also 'file' -  'open' in affinity designer. I get no response from the program (not even an error message). Sometimes I get preview opening my affinity files but not always. This happens with affinity files I created yesterday as well as .ai files from Illustrator I created a few months ago. I see the post on this forum that you can open existing files after creating a new files so that is my temporary solution. I am working on Mac platform 10.11.2 El Capitan. Any suggestions? Cheers -J

I'm having the same issue/s on El Captain. Tried holding ⌃(ctrl) while launching the app, then select Clear. Never did a thing.

Starting to think I've wasted my money on this app.

Yes - I have tried to reinstall... I managed to open a file but now I cannot open any others OR 'save as' error = Save failed because you do not have permission to create a file in that location.

All of a sudden, I'm getting the same error: "Save failed because you do not have permission to create a file in that location." AD App Store v1.4.1. I cannot save to Pictures either (as suggested on another thread). I'm on El Capitan (10.11.4). I ran repair permissions in command line, restarted, and it makes no difference. I also checked permissions on the app (command-i in Finder) and added my username with read/write permission (system was already read/write). Restarted the app. Same error. So right now, AD is unusable, which is an urgent and critical problem. I tried to download the latest beta, to test that, but it is expired.

Postscript 1) Doing what is suggested above (control on launch, then clear) made no difference.

Postscript 2) I used AppDelete to remove the app entirely. I then went to the AppStore to install a fresh copy. The download was successful, and I pressed Open. Zero happened, and now nothing happens when trying Open in AppStore.app to open AD. In addition, the app cannot be found in my Applications folder, or by Finder. As the AppStore.app shows it as installed, I cannot install again.

I'll investigate further and report back any progress, but this is odd behaviour.

I have no issues with anything else on my machine, at least so far.

I managed to resolve the app not being found. AppDelete pushed it into a folder in Application Support, for some reason. Turning on debug in App Store.app (Terminal command: defaults write com.apple.appstore ShowDebugMenu -bool true) and resetting the App Store.app (from Debug menu), then restarting my machine, at least brought up the "You're launching this app for the first time" dialogue box, which allowed me to press "Show Application."

I moved the found app to Applications. Opened and tried to save a document. I still get the same "Save failed because you do not have permission to create a file in that location." error.

I'll try to move the app to Trash and reinstall again from App Store.app, but I'm running out of moves.

Hi ianrobertdouglas,

Have you tried to create a new user account and check if you were able to save to the same location?

@jpbellini,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Please press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the app, then select Clear from the dialog that will open to reset the app.

Let me know if you still have trouble openong files after this.

Okay. This thread helped me identify the problem: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/6956-cannot-open-or-save-with-both-affinity-designer-and-photo-beta/

It's a fonts issue. Basically, I have too many fonts in the set I use for my design apps. With "Sandboxed" apps (including AD, but excluding Photoshop, Illustrator, etc), there is a limit of 3000 files open. For some sad reason, OS X is counting fonts activated as open files.

If I reduce my active fonts down to something more reasonable (like 2000), AD has no problem saving.

(I did have to clear my System Font Cache, and restart AD.)

So basically, if you're trying to run too many fonts on your system, AD will not work.

But to underline: the problem is not with Affinity and how it's coded. It's with Apple and the restrictions it places (Sandboxing) on apps it allows in the App Store.

Thank you  ianrobertdouglas

I have more than 3000 fonts activated. I deactivate like a thousand and clean the caches and now it works. You really save may day of work. Thanks.

MEB I have done the Clear thing. But it didn't work, it was the fonts.

thanks. Hope you guys can solve it for the next version.

It was RamiT and Andrew Tang who worked it out, but it's good to flag for the developers, as designers who deal a lot with typography and have large font collections will need a strategy, it seems, on keeping active sets below a certain number (2000 seems a safe number). I have FontExplorer X Pro set up to activate a specific set when I launch AD. I wonder if this is related and whether I'd face the same issue if my fonts were always activated, or not handled by FontExplorer.