You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

question on performances

Hello everybody, I have a 2017 iMac and AP runs very poorly on it with delays and turning wheel always on. It does not matter if metal or openGL is on. So I am thinking of buying the new Mac Studio but first I would like to make sure that it will run faster and better, otherwise it will be a waste of money since AP is the only application I use besides the usuals that come with the OS. I read of problems of AP running on mac studio and that is why I am posting this. Will Mac Studio make AP perform better and faster or not? Anybody with an idea on that?

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 8.00.09 PM.png

Well I think it's overall more a general matter of APh & macOS Monterey interoperation problem here and so more the APh software's build, API compatibility adaption & optimization side for that OS at all, instead of a hardware architecture problem. - Further a "Mac Studio" Mx based architecture hardware will also actually come along with macOS Monterey and as far as APh isn't fully optimal adapted/build/optimized at all for Monterey and all it's system API changes, a hardware change here yet (Intel -> to Mx) probably wouldn't give any stability here for the actual APh software related problems.

In short: dependent on your personal APh workflow usage, your actual hardware config should usually be capable enough and so it's overall more a matter of the software than the hardware.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff
9 hours ago, srg said:

Hello everybody, I have a 2017 iMac and AP runs very poorly on it with delays and turning wheel always on. It does not matter if metal or openGL is on. So I am thinking of buying the new Mac Studio but first I would like to make sure that it will run faster and better, otherwise it will be a waste of money since AP is the only application I use besides the usuals that come with the OS. I read of problems of AP running on mac studio and that is why I am posting this. Will Mac Studio make AP perform better and faster or not? Anybody with an idea on that?

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 8.00.09 PM.png

I'd be surprised to learn that the app performs poorly in all cases. Please could you provide a screenshot of the apps performance preferences so I can see which settings you are using? 

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

6 hours ago, Callum said:

I'd be surprised to learn that the app performs poorly in all cases. Please could you provide a screenshot of the apps performance preferences so I can see which settings you are using? 

Thanks
C

here is the shot, my imac has an internal 500MB SSD and usually works on 120MB free disk space. Thanks

image.png.84ba87f4aa84fba5d9948b12c9f0edbb.png