You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer - Embedded Vector Files Remove Transparency When Exported as EPS/PDF

I have a project (with transparent background) with multiple objects and several multi-object files that I have placed/embedded into that project. I can edit the embedded files in the project without a problem. I can successfully export this project as a PNG and everything is as I expect with a transparent background (in other programs and online t-shirt design areas).

However, when I export the project as a EPS, I do see a notice that "Some areas will be rasterized" but I ignored that because all I worked with were vectors and nothing with pixels or rasterized. When the export is finished the transparent background is gone and replaced with a white background.

On further investigation on the resultant EPS file in Designer, I found that instead of vectors for the embedded files there are "images". So when I hid those image layers the white background disappeared and the background was transparent. The same thing happened when I did not export the project the embedded layers, "nothing will be rasterized" and the background remained transparent.

Apparently, Designer throws away embedded file vectors and converts it to a rasterized image which produces a white background for the entire project.

Is there a way to export the content of embedded files in a project that eliminates the rasterization of the files and preserves a transparent background?

@DonKC, a little difficult without seeing the file firsthand but are you creating everything in Affinity software or are some of your objects created using different software? Do any of your vector graphics have fx applied, e.g., drop shadows or similar?

The .eps file format itself does not support transparency so it would certainly be interesting if you are able to upload a sample file for us to take a look at?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

The 3 embeds are all .afdesign files (but may have been AI in a previous life). When I deactivate them all, there is no white background for the project (and it's a nuisance to always change the Designer document to transparent to see the difference) with transparency. When I individually edit each one and then try to export each it says whether there will be some rasterizing or nothing will be rasterized. Going through each embed, there were things like strokes not expanded or a group with one member, and I removed these random things until the test export said nothing will be rasterized. I even exported just the no-rasterize embed and the transparency is there for each.

When I put anyone of these no-rasterize embeds back in the main project, it again rasterizes something, and that produces the white background.

Maybe Designer always rasterizes embedded vector files (rather than track all the new objects)???

@DonKC, are you in a position to upload the file in question, of even elements of it which cause the issue, so we can take a look. That would save a lot of back and forth and speculation...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse