You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

I've recently purchased Photo (2 days in) and it was all going well until I started running into an issue with the inpainting brush tool, as well as some of the other editing tools like Dodge Brush tool, basically won't work after I've selected them to edit a image with?

Not sure what I am doing wrong and I am pretty sure its a newbie error.

Cheers,

Nicholas 

Hi.

Have you selected a layer to work on?

And what kind of layer? It has to be a pixel layer. 

If your not sure, you can attach a screenshot to this post. Be sure to include the layers panel.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

Hi Nicholas,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The probable cause is that you are working with an Image layer or other layer type as @Madame pointed out. You can identify the type of layer by looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name. If it's identified as an (Image) layer you have to convert it to a (Pixel) layer. To do it right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise.... You should now be able to edit it with the Inpainting Brush and other pixel based tools.

An Image layer is considered an object layer type - you can transform it "globally" (scale, rotate, skew etc) but you can't edit it at a pixel level (which is what Dodge, Inpainting and other Brush tools do). For those operations you need to convert it to a Pixel layer - a generic pixel container/layer for performing pixel based operations.

If you didn't add any layers on purpose it can have happened automatically with one of the corrections/adjustments you made.

See screenshot for a typical situation for me: I use the levels adjustment to make the picture brighter - if I afterwards want to use the inpainting brush or such I first have to click on the Layers tab in the right hand column (because the Adjustments tab is selected) and then select Background instead of Levels Adjustment.

post-5549-0-01604700-1451840079_thumb.png

• 5 months later...

Sorry makes no sense to me.

I finally found correct inpatient brush tool hidden under healing brush on my Affinity left toolbar.

But no matter which video I look at nobody mentions pixelate they are usually in Photo standard editing persona with only layer I can see being adjustment layer. 

So I am wondering if program is different according to versions and if moderator here has a better one or different version to what I have. 
No videos I have watched thus far mention having to switch to pixelate they all just click on tool icon, swipe over what they want to hide and release their mouse or touchpad and bingo it works. 

I am trying to learn the very basics which I knew would be slow but you need to make your answers easier to follow. 
I looked for layer I am in and it is adjustment layer as far as I can tell [right side bar has that name in brackets/parenthesis] but buggered if I can find your pixelate stuff or how to change settings as you mention. 

I am writing to Affinity via Email in hopes I find my answer so I can then continue on with rest of first video for beginners. 

I am grateful someone is trying to help us L plate Affinity drivers but just like driving a car we have to be shown step by step for we cannot read minds to suck out the information from experts heads. Even if we could I doubt we could follow how they have it worded and stored anyway, lol. 

Okay found what was wrong. Simple as I knew it would be.

I had to close program then reopen and when I selected same photo to try again I noticed no layers at all on right side panel. 

I clicked on tool and there it was bright as on all the videos and it worked just like in videos. 

So might be useful if others found like me they couldn't get red colour that they need to close the photo then reopen it or close program and restart to fix the bug responsible for tool not working. 

I need to return to beginners video now to see if I missed that on the screen after new photo selected. 

Thanks for your support even if it was over the top of my head. 

Hi Trial&Error, good to see that you got it to work :-)

It is not a bug. But I agree with you that it would be nice if there was some sort of warning when you're trying to use the inpainting brush on a layer where it has no effect https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/17922-warning-when-inpainting-tool-is-used-on-wrong-layer