You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APub Checklist: Missing glyph (⌘) in Font

32 minutes ago, Andreas Scherer said:

How do I get rid of this error message in preflight?

Use a font that has that glyph. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Use a font that has that glyph. 

The glyph in question is the ‘Place of Interest Sign’ (U+2318):

https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2318/fontsupport.htm

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Andreas Scherer said:

Thanks, I use Apple Symbol with a slightly larger size (30pt vs 24pt) to match the text font.

According to the Screenshot it is a font called Fira Sans. So you could make a Paragraph Style called For Apple Command Symbol and a special purpose made Character Style named Apple Symbol for Drop Cap. Now use the Apple Symbol for Drop Cap Character Style for the Drop cap in the For Apple Command Symbol Paragraph Style and all should be well.

Personally I would just ignore this warning from the Preflight or Checkliste.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

As far as I see on the screenshot, there is an exclamation mark in front of the font name. That normally means that the whole font is missing.

I think a ? would mean the font is missing. As far as I knoiw, an ! means that the document has used characters not present in the font.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 8/25/2022 at 3:12 PM, Andreas Scherer said:

Inserting the ⌘ symbol from the Emoji&Symbols menue ...

Look through the "Fira Sans Glyphs" here, in order to see if the "⌘ symbol" is part of it or not. - Though I think it's not part of it and so missing in that specific font (that's BTW also what the message in your screenshot tells)!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

10 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

Note: Google Fonts specimens do not include all the characters/glyphs in a font.
So not a good place to check.

Fira Sans definitely does not include that character (I checked the font earlier).

That's a thing everyone who wants to create a DTP-Document should always check before he starts. Especially in free fonts some glyphs are very often missing. E.g. for me as a German user, many fonts are useless, because they don't contain umlauts (ä, ö ,ü).

10 hours ago, iconoclast said:

That's a thing everyone who wants to create a DTP-Document should always check before he starts. Especially in free fonts some glyphs are very often missing. E.g. for me as a German user, many fonts are useless, because they don't contain umlauts (ä, ö ,ü).

Online tools for when you have not installed the fonts:

Wakamai Fondue
Lists all characters (with code points) nicely organized and displays code points.
https://wakamaifondue.com/beta/

FontDrop
Displays all characters/glyphs (includes un-encoded glyphs, like small caps, etc).
Includes code points, and glyph number for un-encoded glyphs.
https://fontdrop.info/ 

Bulletproof Font Tester
Displays all characters in one big page (only those with code points).
Good for a quick visual scan.
Languages support tools are really extensive.
Once you figure-out the settings, easy to test any font for German support.
https://bulletproof.italic.space/ 

OpenType.js Glyph Inspector
Displays all characters and un-encoded glyphs.
Lots of data for each glyph - metrics, a vector drawing showing the points, etc.
Total font-nerd heaven.
https://opentype.js.org/glyph-inspector.html 

All four of these tools have many other very useful features for examining fonts.
OpenType features, language coverage, name fields, metrics, etc.
Usually I use font editors and other tools to check fonts, but when I am away from my computer and just on my phone, these online tools are very helpful.

If you have installed the fonts, there is always Windows Character Map and Affinity Glyph Browser.

Hmmm ...
I should probably add these online font tools, and 4-5 others, to the Resources section.
Maybe with all the tools listed, and some screenshots.
Maybe an epub would be better - more portable.
Oh well ...

30 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Hmmm ...
I should probably add these online font tools, and 4-5 others, to the Resources section.
Maybe with all the tools listed, and some screenshots.
Maybe an epub would be better - more portable.
Oh well ...

Either way, as a thread-posting or an epub, that's a pretty good idea and will for sure be helpful for many other people then too!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

25 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Either way, as a thread-posting or an epub, that's a pretty good idea and will for sure be helpful for many other people then too!

Been sitting here looking at all these tools and thinking about this.
There are another 4-5 online tools which also support variable fonts.
Most of these tools really need a User Guide to get the most out of them.
To do that properly would take quite awhile.
A good idea, but time consuming.

Think I will just do an Online Font Tools post - a kind of summary of all the tools.
That would get people the web links and a good tool summary fairly quickly.
Gawd I hate doing half-a$$ed docs; it is painful. Really needs lots of pics.
But I guess it is good to get the info out there in some form sooner, rather than later.

48 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

A good idea, but time consuming.

Yes, that is always the general problem here. Doing certain things the usual right way is often very time consuming.

51 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Think I will just do an Online Font Tools post - a kind of summary of all the tools.
That would get people the web links and a good tool summary fairly quickly.
Gawd I hate doing half-a$$ed docs; it is painful. Really needs lots of pics.
But I guess it is good to get the info out there in some form sooner, rather than later.

Jip, do it the way which you think might be best here in this case. - I also tend to reference & link a lot to already existing net wide information contents, since most IT-related infos have already been written down in some useful to follow manner on other peoples websites/blogs ...and the like... on the net. Thus referencing & quoting already written down informations is pretty legitime and helpful too here. - Further it might be the quicker way to populate and spreed the needed infos here!

On 8/26/2022 at 7:23 PM, LibreTraining said:

It is also in the System Font, and the glyph is larger so it may fit better.

This seems to be ambiguous. Google claims that SF Pro is the system font for macOS, but my Mini doesn't have this. Then Google claims that Big Sur has Helvetica Neue as system font, but this doesn't have the symbol; the error reappears. I'll stick with Apple Symbols.

Edit: Lucida Grande also works fine (even at identical font size).

23 minutes ago, Andreas Scherer said:

Google claims that SF Pro is the system font for macOS, but my Mini doesn't have this. ...

1 hour ago, Andreas Scherer said:

This seems to be ambiguous. Google claims that SF Pro is the system font for macOS, but my Mini doesn't have this. Then Google claims that Big Sur has Helvetica Neue as system font, but this doesn't have the symbol; the error reappears. I'll stick with Apple Symbols.

Bug Sur has System Font (SFNS.ttf) - which is what I was referring to.
Have not checked, but it is probably a derivative of the "SF" San Francisco fonts.
They may be hiding it from applications on your MacOS.

SF Pro mentioned above also has that character.