You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer + Magic Mouse = Disaster

Hello Affinity,

When I work with Affinity Designer, I'm working with pleasure.

But when I'm using Apple Magic Mouse, there must be a bug.

Explanation: When I click and hold on any layer / shape / text..., I want then move this layer by moving with mouse on the table. That is working.

But my finger moves a little on the mouse surface, and then come disaster: shape is moving - aaaaaa, help, please, no!

Suggested fix: while user use Magic Mouse, and mouse is clicked and held, ignore surface gesture of Magic Mouse.

You know how to fix it.

Please, fix it soon, please, please... Thank you.

• Staff

Hi affinityuser and Luksy,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no way to disable the mouse panning inside Affinity Photo/Designer. There's an option to disable this in OS X Preferences but it will affect all installed applications.

In the beginning it does look strange. I had the same exact issues you're describing and some users reported this too but after some time you may get used to it and it becomes natural.

Just give it a try and let us know how it goes.

• Staff

I'm going to suggest that the real problem is that the Magic Mouse is a totally flawed concept.  I got the Magic Mouse 2 with my new iMac, and it's been relegated to the drawer.  Trying to do gestures on the surface of an object that is too light to stay still is a joke. I ended up disabling everything but scroll and clicks - and scrolling was far from a nice experience.  In addition to that it is really temperamental with the bluetooth connection - often takes seconds to come to life after a rest.

So - my solution - I got a Logitech MX Master - it's bluetooth, rechargeable, has great scroll features, is ergonomically excellent, high precision, fully customisable, can be paired with three computers.... need I go on?  I do use it alongside a Magic Trackpad 2, for when I need to do any gestures.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I'm going to suggest that the real problem is that the Magic Mouse is a totally flawed concept.  I got the Magic Mouse 2 with my new iMac, and it's been relegated to the drawer.  Trying to do gestures on the surface of an object that is too light to stay still is a joke. I ended up disabling everything but scroll and clicks - and scrolling was far from a nice experience.  In addition to that it is really temperamental with the bluetooth connection - often takes seconds to come to life after a rest.

So - my solution - I got a Logitech MX Master - it's bluetooth, rechargeable, has great scroll features, is ergonomically excellent, high precision, fully customisable, can be paired with three computers.... need I go on?  I do use it alongside a Magic Trackpad 2, for when I need to do any gestures.

Just a addition "The input lag of magic mouse will make you desire throw it on the wall."

I bought a Magic mouse and Keyboard to go with my new Mac Mini - hmm think that was a mistake. Stuff magically moving in front of me - not sure if I will ever get used to this beast and I have been trying since Mid December...

Ben thanks for the heads up on the Logitech mouse, will check that out.  Finally managed to get my Wacom Tablet working, so life is easier working on documents

MK

• Staff

There is also a little brother to the Logitech Master - the Anywhere MX 2 - that is a very good alternative.  I managed to get one for £47 on Amazon.  It has all the same quality and similar features to the MX Master, and works just as well.  It's pitched as a mobile mouse, but is just as good for desktop.

I have no problems with the new Apple keyboard.  I got the new Magic Keyboard with my iMac, but I didn't have any choice else I'd have probably gone for the wired full keyboard.  I actually use cursor keys and the numeric pad a lot, and having it wired is not really an issue (plus you get two handy USB ports).

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 6 months later...

I don't think the problem is the magic mouse. I have a magic mouse 1 and 2. When I use Illustrator I don't have the same problem. I think Illustrator has permanently turned down the fidelity though. Panning in Illustrator is not smooth, and it shifts in about 5px increments. However, my solution is to turn the panning fidelity down ONLY on mouse down (like Illustrator). Turn the fidelity back up on mouse up. I don't know if this is possible, but obviously this is not a big problem in Illustrator. I still love your product though.

I have used a magic mouse for years. For the most part it works great for me in all the apps I use including Illustrator and Photoshop. Still waiting for some maturity before jumping on board with my Affinity software.

Bought the Magic Mouse to replace an older Apple Mouse.  On top of all the previous complaints about it, whoever thought that really sharp edges would feel wonderful in small hands should be forced to sit on that thing....sideways!  It went in a drawer...way back in the back of the drawer...as soon as I could find an used replacement for the older no longer available Apple Mouse.

• 1 month later...
This bug is a test of patience. I'm almost going back to heavy Illustrator. Google Maps had this same problem and solved. It can be a way to seek a solution.

It would be perfect if the program could "turn off" the scroll when the button is clicked. Currently I can click and drag the object to slide your finger across the mouse. That is, it accepts and clicks scroll (pan) at the same time.

Sorry for my English of Google Translation.

1lHB5l2Qtk.gif

• 1 month later...

The Problem is, that Affinity is far to sensitive. I think there should be an option to disable scrolling gestures while holding down the mouse button. Or even better only allow scrolling with a second finger.

Another solution could be to stick the mouse pointer to the object, so scrolling is possible but it's not moving objects.

But I don't know any use case, so think the best would be to decrease sensitivity while holding down the mouse button.

There is also a little brother to the Logitech Master - the Anywhere MX 2 - that is a very good alternative.  I managed to get one for £47 on Amazon.  It has all the same quality and similar features to the MX Master, and works just as well.  It's pitched as a mobile mouse, but is just as good for desktop.

I have no problems with the new Apple keyboard.  I got the new Magic Keyboard with my iMac, but I didn't have any choice else I'd have probably gone for the wired full keyboard.  I actually use cursor keys and the numeric pad a lot, and having it wired is not really an issue (plus you get two handy USB ports).

Totally agree with the Anywhere MX mouse (v1 and 2), with added bonus that the Darkfield tech also works on clear glass (makes a nice work surface but it's a pain with any mouse except a Darkfield one).  The benefit of using a wired keyboard is that you can fit the Logitech receiver in one of the USB ports so it's as close to the mouse as possible so there's never any problem with device interference.

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

• 5 months later...

Hi brenonovelli,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This only happens with surface touch mouses. It was already fixed for the Node Tool but not for the Move Tool.

There's already an improvement request logged to "fix" this issue. Thanks for your report.

Any word on this fix? Today this is driving me insane when resizing a path.  <_<

Thanks!