You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Files!

We all need a good file viewer that supports Affinity Files. Affinity does almost everything right but we need an image/file viewer that includes Affinity files. Cannot believe that you have dragged your feet on this issue. Please give us some hope and guidance on this issue. Surely it can't be that hard?

Hi @KwameKofi

Why an extra file viewer? Windows Explorer and/or the Mac Finder can do that quite well. Provided you set the generation of a preview image in the preferences of the Affinity programmes under General.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

My guess OP mean something with basic key-wording , rating, metadata   and a search based upon , something at Adobe Bridge level at least.       Not those horrible file managers both Mac and Windows couldn't make  useful for decades for some uncertain reason.      But I definitely prefer it would be on OS side  rather than Affinity one.

3 minutes ago, kirk23 said:

My guess OP mean something with basic key-wording , rating, metadata   and a search based upon , something at Adobe Bridge level at least. 

But then a DAM (file manager) would be required, not a file viewer.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

19 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

But then a DAM (file manager) would be required, not a file viewer.

Well.   if windows explorer could write keywords not only for jpg   and Finder could do hierarchical tags    it could be well enough probably   without any special DAM .    But my guess it's nothing Affinity team could do about.

15 hours ago, Komatös said:

Hi @KwameKofi

Why an extra file viewer? Windows Explorer and/or the Mac Finder can do that quite well.

I'm not a big DAM user, but the Gallery View in the Mac Finder seems to be a comfortable way to browse images. And searching + tagging can make filtering file types quite immediate. The reason I’ve never used Bridge is that I find the Finder perfectly fine.

Paolo

image.png.ccd6d8ccd6725ad490d12488529ccbe1.png is the key. If activated Windows File Explorer is able to show the preview. XNview can also show the preview.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

I always had "save thumbnail" activated but Windows File Explorer and Faststone Image viewer don't display any Affinity file thumbnail. FE just display the Affinity logo in the color of the App, and Fastone doesn't display anything.

Edit: After testing, this happens only when files are saved to One Drive. Anywhere else the thumbnail with a small Affinity logo corresponding to the app is displayed. The problen then seems to be with One Drive.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

5 minutes ago, AlainP said:

I always had "save thumbnail" activated but Windows File Explorer and Faststone Image viewer don't display any Affinity file thumbnail. FE just display the Affinity logo in the color of the App, and Fastone doesn't display anything.

If File Explorer isn't showing a thumbnail, then you may have its folder View options set incorrectly. You must use "medium icons" or larger.

For Faststone Image Viewer: The files have thumbnails, accessible via the standard Windows mechanisms for displaying them, but Faststone only recognizes a limited set of file extensions. That's something you would need to take up with Faststone directly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes Walt, but the problem seems to be with One Drive. When saved anywehere else than One Drive Affinity files are displayed correctly (see my edit). This had been reported a long time ago.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I found a way to display Affinity files thumbnails in Windows file explorer when using Onedrive. In Onedrive settings uncheck "Save space and download files as you need them" and thumbails will be back. 

But beware that all your Onedrive files will be downloaded locally on your drive. When "Save space" option is enabled Onedrive shows a "ghost file" that is just a reference to the real file on Onedrive.

-- Macbook Air 15"

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

For Faststone Image Viewer: The files have thumbnails, accessible via the standard Windows mechanisms for displaying them, but Faststone only recognizes a limited set of file extensions. That's something you would need to take up with Faststone directly.

During the past five years I've asked Faststone a few times to add support for APhoto embedded thumbnails. Version 7.7 was released on 8/24/2022. It still lacks support for .afphoto files. 

Perhaps if more APhoto users contacted Faststone they would correct this deficiency in their otherwise excellent viewer.

Affinity Photo 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

I do not understand, why some discuss about thumbnails here.
The person who started this thread asked for an image-VIEWER which can display Affinity-Files.

Applications like IrfanView etc. do not support them.

Perhaps because Serif did not make their file-format public? (or did they?)
In this case bombarding Faststone and others with such requests will not be fruitful.

1 hour ago, Fritz_H said:

Applications like IrfanView etc. do not support them.

But applications like XnViewMP do.

1 hour ago, Fritz_H said:

Perhaps because Serif did not make their file-format public? (or did they?)

No, the file format is not public, but the applications support the standard OS interfaces for extracting thumbnails. Thus any application that wants to support them, at least for displaying thumbnails, can.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

25 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

At least on the Mac (Mojave), Affinity files' preview is shown in the Finder

And in File Explorer on Windows.

-- Walt
PC:

On 8/24/2022 at 7:47 AM, KwameKofi said:

We all need a good file viewer that supports Affinity Files. Affinity does almost everything right but we need an image/file viewer that includes Affinity files. Cannot believe that you have dragged your feet on this issue. Please give us some hope and guidance on this issue. Surely it can't be that hard?

We need to know for exactly what purpose and target audience. Otherwise, it results in an unfocused debate that misses the point of your inquiry.

Is it for your own machine, or something a'la PowerPoint viewer that people without Affinity can install for free and view files made by others?

10 Reasons Why Strategic Plans Fail
Having a plan simply for plans sake - Not understanding the environment or focusing on results - Partial commitment - Not having the right people involved - Writing the plan and putting it on the shelf - Unwillingness or inability to change - Having the wrong people in leadership positions - No accountability or follow through - Unrealistic goals or lack of focus and resources.

Get it?