You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smarter save location?

My workflow involves a lot of files, located in different folders (affinity files) and export folders (png, jpg, ...)

Also, I frequently use the "Save as" dialog to copy / start a new increments from the file I'm working on (whilst using the export persona in between).

Because Affinity Designer opens/suggests the last location, I often make the mistake of saving stuff where it doesn't belong. For example saving a new iteration (affinity file) into an export folder or the other way around.

One solution could perhaps be:

AFFINITY DESIGN

• "Save as" and "Open" dialog always opens in the same location as the current file
  • If theres no open file, use the last open file location

EXPORT PERSONA

• Export location is "remembered" per affinity file and remains the same when you reopen the file
  • If theres no exported files yet, use/suggest the current affinity files location as base

• 8 months later...

Hi, I think the persona export option is great. What I do not understand is the following. You are offering quite some flexibility to save files with the export option in combination with the slice tool. Why do you not offer the option to include a file path in the export option and give the user the option to create export options in-depend of the slice tool. I usually create heavy layer files but also want to save out files of the comp as preview jpg. 

A version up option could also be helpful.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I want to keep this bug in the developers minds.  

I can not use affinity photo because of this and I really want to use this software.

If I have more than one file open at a time and I want to save them, I have to find the right location for each save each time.

/path/to/dir1/file1 -> drag open to affinity photo using a mouse

/path/to/dir2/file2 -> drag open to affinity photo using a mouse

/path/to/dir2/file3 -> drag open to affinity photo using a mouse

/path/to/dir2/file4 -> drag open to affinity photo using a mouse

/path/to/dir2/file5 -> drag open to affinity photo using a mouse

If I save file 1  file -> save as  then find the right location for file1, then go to file 2 and save I then have to find the right location for that file2.

It works the same way for the doing   file -> export

It works the same for every file.  This workflow is time consuming.

Perhaps there is something wrong in my workflow.  Please post a video about how to save or fix this bug.