You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blur image in Affinity Publisher

• Staff

Hi @Ria

It would be helpful if you can provide a copy of the image and your affinity file, so I can see how it's set up and if I can recreate your problem. 

You can upload these to the link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/request/4HOTHOPCqInCQF0oHIbq

Can you check in Document > Resource Manager if the image is Embedded or Linked. 

If it is a linked resource, is the image saved to a local drive, cloud storage or a removal drive?

If it is not saved locally can you try coping the image to the desktop then import it into Publisher and see if the same issue occurs.

What I saw today is this. That the photos become blurry if I, as recommended in the book, put the photos in one folder, which I use for that particular photo project. But after moving the photo in the right folder, the photo becomes blurry. I'll continue tomorrow and I'll see if it's right by doing a few exercises. If it turns out that this is not the right reason, I will continue with your recommendations. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Ria said:

...That the photos become blurry if I ... put the photos in one folder, ... But after moving the photo in the right folder, the photo becomes blurry....

Are you placing the photo into a Publisher document and then you "... put the photos in one folder, ..."?

If that is what you are doing then you are breaking the link, the document has no image in the original location. The original location is the only one it knows about. You will have to relink them using the Resource Manager.

Best Practice is to gather any and all photos into a folder before placing any of them. If you want to you can copy the photos into the folder (this is what I do) so you still have the originals in the original location.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

My way of working is actually 'building'. From one, comes the next step. As a result, I later placed the photos in that project's folder, because I wasn't quite sure whether I would use the photo in question. EmT explained that I have to go to the Resource manager, so I'm going to try that or change my way of working for 'Publisher'. I like to use the 'build' way, so I'll leave the photo in its original place and copy it Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thank you for your answer;

What I do is; with my photo's from the memory cart uploaden to Apple Photo. The Photo's I needed You have said I have to copy in an other Map so that I have them together in for the app Publisher. After that I think of a different photo and take a Photo of the self made map to change it how I want it. That is the proces I do now. Then it is blurry again.
The links of you I translated them in Dutch, but when I am honest it goes a little bit above my head. For me, as a beginner, it is very difficult. 

When I read them all I will send to you what I did do to change it all.

17 minutes ago, Ria said:

I have to copy in an other Map so that I have them together in for the app Publisher. After that I think of a different photo and take a Photo of the self made map to change it how I want it.

It is not clear whether the blurry images are reported by the Resource Manager to be "Missing", respectively whether you copied (moved?) the images before or after you placed them in APub. – However, you can try this:

1. Sort by "Status".
2. Select all "Missing" items.
3. Press the "Relink" button.
4. In the following dialog choose that folder you created for the copied images. If your placed images were linked to another folder then this action will link them to the "new" folder. Images which don't exist in the new folder will remain "missing" items and keep their initial file path shown in the Resource Manager.

1359773910_resourcemanager-Relinkmissing.jpg.90ff8d2bbd018a1f7e2d68838fb88c7b.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thank you for the answer:

I will at first do you said so clearly and when it does not go I go back  to the beginning of all ( I know then which Photo's I want to use en which ones I want to change) and start all over again with the no ledge you gave me. When that goes ( before the end of September and beginning Oktober I sort the last parts I want into Publisher ( I have to make them on the 2 days of the photo fair). Then I make a template and then a pdf to send a friend and the foto fair. Then you helped an old woman to make this. 

Already thanks

It doesn't work what you have said and therefore I have 2 questions when I go from the beginning:

If I open the apple Photo and then move the photo by sliding it into another folder, that is a copy or a new photo. If I do this with copy and paste then is it better?
2. What is the best file size? Now I use Tiff. and that is sometimes very large. Is it better to reduce this to, say, 1000?

Thank you already for the answer.

It does not matter for the use in Affinity whether you move or copy the image to the wanted folder. If you copy it does not matter what method you use.

1000 what? … kB, MB, pixels, point, mm, DPI … ? – What is your document's resolution and what is the placed percentage size of the image?

Thank you for answering;

The size of my photo's are in the beginning (before I change them) 5184 - 3888 px. direct out of my camera. When I do a workshop I have to change that to 1000 px. I do that automatic in Affinity Photo with document, size.  

On the moment I move/slide them from one place to another.

Is that correct for Publisher? When I do what you suggested in Resource manager nothing happen.

On 9/5/2022 at 3:07 PM, Ria said:

What I do is; with my photo's from the memory cart uploaden to Apple Photo. The Photo's I needed You have said I have to copy in an other Map so that I have them together in for the app Publisher. After that I think of a different photo and take a Photo of the self made map to change it how I want it. That is the proces I do now.

3 hours ago, Ria said:

When I do what you suggested in Resource manager nothing happen.

In your "What I do" I am missing the part when you initially place the image in APub.

a.) Before moving/copying it?
b.) Before changing its dimensions?

• If you place an image in APub after move/copy + after dimension change there is no such issue, right?

• If you change dimension of a placed image while it is not missing then it will be recognized as "modified" and get updated, depending on your preference setting respectively your use of the update feature when opening this .afpub.

• If you change dimension of a placed image while it is already missing then the update (Relink) feature appears not work. Then you would use "Replace" instead for every of the affected images. A missing image seems not to be recognized by the Relink option if the file has changed on the new location, even if its file name did not change.

@EmT, I wonder whether "Relink" should also work if a linked resource file got modified while being missing by APub. I just noticed that changing its modification date only (via mac Terminal.app) does not prevent "Relink" from working but if the file gets (re-)saved e.g. by APhoto (not exported) then Relink does not recognize this resource any more as the missing one.

It is to much for me (I am 71 years old) and I make a template and a pdf what I now have done. Then you can see what is the case. 

But resource manager does not show up via document/resource manager; or window/resource manager.

It is to big for this support. I can't show you. I will make a template from a part, you can see what I  have te ask. Your answer seem to me clear but to do it is another case.

I think I overestimated myself. It's harder than I thought. I don't have young people around me who can help me. What I used was Photo, Designer and Publisher and wanted to try to create the space between photography and filming. So: make sentences with pictures that don't move. In the old days in the churches, one had to read the stained glass windows in churches to understand what the owners meant. The glass windows were the books that many people who didn't learn could read.

'A part' of my work as a  PDF send to you, doesn't work either:

I will try to answer the questions: I slide some photo's in a self made folder from the app "photo",  before I go to work with the photo. Then I open the photo's again in that self folder and change the photo. After that publisher said the photo is missing  and when I click replace there is nothing happening. Now is resource manager gone. My new photo's I changed get a new name while I need also the real ones. Then I have 2 photo's from the same with another name in the same folder.       Ah, I can do still something you can see better what I am doing.

What you can see there, that I used photo's on the right side and make them half black and the other part colour. These pictures blure. The left part are ICM pictures direct from Photo with a drawing above and they are not missing. Not a problem. In the drawings come the photo's from the photography fair in black and white.

Schermafbeelding 2022-09-09 om 19.58.31.png

4 hours ago, Ria said:

But resource manager does not show up via document/resource manager...

If you click on the Document menu do you not see Resource Manager... as the last item in that menu, or do you mean something else, like that the Resource Manager window does not open?

269939902_DocumentResourceManager.jpg.53048bf86402c0d0d38568f633486427.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, Ria said:

I have seen it, but it doesn't open. In the past I could look to the resource manager.

Have you ever used a second monitor with your Mac? If so, the Resource Manager window may be opening on that, even if it is not connected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Try this. Quit the application. Hold down the Control key (On Windows and Mac it is the Control key) and keep holding it down. Start the application, you should see the Clear User Data window come up. Check only the second item and then hit clear.

673547021_ScreenShot2022-09-10at9_54_04AM.png.97edf4220aeb48a3558ed5cec0e610e5.png

1602707811_ScreenShot2022-09-10at9_54_11AM.png.b1d05a499b73b632d9ae5b5ee88ae944.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.