You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How would I remove the yellow tint that I think auto-white balance on my camera added?

HI

I took this picture of a trout fly in my vice that I tied and it is supposed to be mostly gray.  From the research I did, I think it was because I had auto-white balance set on my camera and also my fly tying lamp has a natural tint LED bulb.

The background I used is a natural gray muskrat pelt and it is gray for sure.

P1010181-PSE3.thumb.jpg.790d7f5762008b2f57133a66c6b11074.jpg

2 hours ago, filoplume said:

a natural gray muskrat pelt and it is gray for sure

I'd rather expect the metal tool be "natural gray", – no?

If a White Balance adjustment doesn't work quick & easy then switch to a Colour Balance adjustment, which lets you adjust highlights / mids / shadows separately + gives you more colour options. Also a Vibrance adjustment might work, in particular if you want to reduce the orange tint only, e.g. just by reducing vibrance -100?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

I'd rather expect the metal tool be "natural gray", – no?

If a White Balance adjustment doesn't work quick & easy then switch to a Colour Balance adjustment, which lets you adjust highlights / mids / shadows separately + gives you more colour options. Also a Vibrance adjustment might work, in particular if you want to reduce the orange tint only, e.g. just by reducing vibrance -100?

Yes thomaso. In real life, the vice is steel gray like what the filter Lisbon used shows.   I have some Ohotograhy-RAW stuff but not any NIK adjustments. The colors look a lot closer to what the fly and background actually looks like but the vice color is right on!

White Balance adjustment isn't quite doing it so far. Probably because I am not doing it correctly or finding the correct blend mode.  I will continue with your other adjustments now!  Thanks!

The "hackle" (the up and down feathers around the upright wing is actually a little tan, along with the wing, in real life. And the body is more gray but this adjustment looks good!  Now I know what to do if I leave auto-white balance on in a camera.  I am going to keep on trying adjustments. 

Thank328200561_50DegreesCatskillFlyPatternVibranceAdj1(Medium).jpg.e00df65095fb06f05eb2bb5c7759ba43.jpgs!

It's a pity that Affinity often seems to need several adjustments for such a colour correction.
Here I tried to achieve Lisbon's result with Affinity only, Colour Balance only, with -8 | 0 | +8 for all three tonal ranges:

779290343_whitebalanceotcolorbalance.thumb.jpg.b90bf08d1834071b464ce7e812588fcb.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

17 hours ago, thomaso said:

It's a pity that Affinity often seems to need several adjustments for such a colour correction.
Here I tried to achieve Lisbon's result with Affinity only, Colour Balance only, with -8 | 0 | +8 for all three tonal ranges:

That colors are just about exact now! Good going!

I learned a bunch from you all.  Certainly will come in handy as I doubt I will get the white balance setting correctly all the time when taking photographs.

Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, filoplume said:

... I doubt I will get the white balance setting correctly all the time when taking photographs.

If you do a lot of this sort of photography, maybe invest in an off-camera Flash to handle the lighting. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

41 minutes ago, filoplume said:

Thanks OB.  I do have a flash attachment for the older Panasonic Lumix that I use.  Maybe change the bulb on the fly tying lamp to a regular bulb would help too, instead of the natural light one I use for tying flies.

I also set the camera to take RAW pics too in addition to jpgs.  There is a good tutorial on the Affinity website about RAW images and I also have some Udemy classes from SImon Foster and others.  Affinity Revolution is good too and so is Peter Dam's website.  And this Affinity forum!