You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drop letter and centered text doesn't work correctly

Publisher seems to not have nested styles. 

I have an indesign file using nested styles for a centered paragraph, that makes the first letter of an entry a character style, in this case 130% wide and black.

So I used drop cap as It can assign a character style style to first letter. But as soon as I centre the Paragraph, the drop letter jumps to the left edge. I can't get around that. This is reproducible in a new document as well.

Initial words on centered paragraphs works.  But I need initial letters

If I assign a char style to the first letter on a centered paragraph, that works just fine.

But I have a few hundred instances in an updatable, database generated list and this should be possible with some feature of publisher? Help

Monterey, 12.5.1, Publisher 1.10.5, MacBook Pro 14", 2021, 16 GB, Apple M1 Pro

Edited by yukonPete
centered not entered in title

I stand by above.

But I needed to move on. I used Grep to apply the char style to the first letter. It was rather crude as I had to learn Grep process first. I searched for ^(.) and replaced with $1. I couldn't use replace all so had to do line by line but I didn't have to actually watch so it was fast.  1st time using Grep in 5 decades on computers. Couldn't get the replace part to work like I knew I should be able to, but enough time wasted.

Indeed a strange bug.

As workaround you could use the Initial Words (instead of Drop Caps) + make them stop after the first character by adding a Zero-Width-Space. You can use Find & Replace (regex) to get it auto-added after each paragraph break + any character.

175445528_dropcapscentred.jpg.2224c7b02d15efc5bbcaf19a2a4d7b95.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1